1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help in understanding State functions

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is a state function? How is it different from a scalar quantity? Use the expression ΔH=q as an example.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So the way I am interpreting this question is that a state function is a reference to say the temperature, pressure, and amount of a substance, not how the substance is aquired, its present state. A scalar quantity would be an amount of say temperature, making it pathway dependent. Using teh above equation, I believe that the H-final and H-initial are state functions, and their sum is a scalar quantity that is not a state function.

I am really confused on this topic, any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's just testing that you know the definition of a state function.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functions_of_state

You seem to have the main point - to be a state function or variable, it's value must only depend on the state, while any old variable could depend on anything.

With reference to the relation provided - what are the variables supposed to represent?
    Does the outcome (q) depend on how one gets from H_i to H_f ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted