I interpreting my results for a thermal decomposition lab

In summary, the experiment involved heating a flask and an unknown compound to constant weight to determine the percentage of sodium chloride in the mixture. The percent error obtained was 12%, which was consistent among the rest of the lab group. The cause of this error could be due to various factors, such as incomplete removal of the hydrate or variations in the composition of the hydrate.
littlebearrrr

Homework Statement

I performed an experiment recently, which required me to heat a flask and an unknown compound to constant weight. The unknown was supposed to be a mixture of calcium sulfate dihydrate and NaCl. My goal for this lab was to determine the % NaCl in the mixture. My percent error wasn't too bad: I got 12%. I'm just curious as to what could have contributed to this, especially since this error was consistent among the rest of my lab group. (Note: I was sure to completely transfer all of my compound to my flask). Does it have anything to do with the hydrate not being completely driven off?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
littlebearrrr said:
unknown was supposed to be a mixture of calcium sulfate dihydrate

Composition of hydrates is often only approximate and depends on the temperature, humidity and sample history.

Likes 1 person

1. What is thermal decomposition?

Thermal decomposition is a chemical reaction that occurs when a substance is heated to a high temperature, causing it to break down into simpler substances.

2. Why is thermal decomposition important in scientific research?

Thermal decomposition can provide valuable information about the chemical properties of a substance and can help determine its potential uses in various industries.

3. How do I interpret the results of a thermal decomposition lab?

First, analyze the data collected during the experiment, such as changes in temperature and mass. Then, compare the results to known values and use mathematical calculations to determine the rate of decomposition.

4. What factors can affect the results of a thermal decomposition lab?

The rate of decomposition can be affected by the temperature, pressure, and composition of the reactants, as well as the presence of catalysts or inhibitors.

5. What are the potential applications of thermal decomposition in industry?

Thermal decomposition can be used in various industries, such as metallurgy, pharmaceuticals, and agriculture. For example, it can be used to extract metals from ores, synthesize new drugs, and improve soil quality.