Pulley Problem: Finding Tension in Suspended Cord with Two Masses

In summary, the tension in the cord holding the pulley is 34.2N. This is because the forces acting on the pulley are the tension above, and the two 17.1N below, resulting in a net force of 0 on the pulley.
iheartpink
a pulley is suspended by a cord with two masses attached. one mass is 1.2 kg. the second mass is 3.2 kg. the two masses are attached on different sides.

the question: determine the tension in this cord after the masses are released and before one hits the ground. ignore the mass of the pulley and cords.

thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
iheartpink said:
a pulley is suspended by a cord with two masses attached. one mass is 1.2 kg. the second mass is 3.2 kg. the two masses are attached on different sides.

the question: determine the tension in this cord after the masses are released and before one hits the ground. ignore the mass of the pulley and cords.

thank you very much in advance!

How did you approach the problem?

i am not sure [at all] how to start with the problem...

iheartpink said:
i am not sure [at all] how to start with the problem...

Hint: The tension above both masses are the same. The acceleration of the lighter mass upward = the acceleration of the heavier mass downward.

Do a freebody diagram of each of the masses. What are the forces acting on each mass... use:

[tex]\Sigma\vec{F} = mass*acceleration[/tex]

for each mass...

i have solved for the first tension. and tension is 17.1 N
i am clueless has to how to solve the tension before one mass hits the ground

iheartpink said:
i have solved for the first tension. and tension is 17.1 N
i am clueless has to how to solve the tension before one mass hits the ground

I think all they meant for that was while the masses are still suspended... before they hit the ground and change the system... 17.1N is the right answer for the rope holding up each of the masses... but what is the tension in the cord holding up the pulley.

You're almost there. The pulley is massless, so the force on it is ma = 0a = 0. You can also say... the pulley is fixed, so its acceleration is 0 and ma = m0 = 0. Either way, the force on the pulley is 0.

Use that to calculate the tension in the cord holding the pulley. You've done most of the work, already, this is just the last part.

Use F = ma for the pulley to calculate the tension in the cord above...

Last edited:
i'm confused. if the force is zero, then is the tension the same as it is for the other rope?

iheartpink said:
i'm confused. if the force is zero, then is the tension the same as it is for the other rope?

17.1N is the tension in the rope above mass 1. 17.1N is also the tension in the rope above mass 2.

You need to find the tension in the cord above the pulley. So the forces acting on the pulley are the tension above, and the two 17.1N below. net force needs to be 0 on the pulley.

it just clicked in my head. thank you!

iheartpink said:
it just clicked in my head. thank you!

cool. just to make sure, what did you get as your final answer?

1. What is a pulley problem?

A pulley problem is a type of physics problem that involves a system of one or more pulleys and a rope or cable. The goal of these problems is to determine the forces on the objects involved and how they will move.

2. How do I solve a pulley problem?

To solve a pulley problem, you will need to understand how to calculate the tension in a rope, the forces acting on the objects attached to the pulley, and the acceleration of the system. This can be done by applying the principles of Newton's laws of motion and using equations such as F=ma and F=mg.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving pulley problems?

Some common mistakes when solving pulley problems include not properly identifying the forces acting on the objects, not correctly setting up the equations, and not considering the direction of the forces. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can you give an example of a pulley problem?

Sure! One example of a pulley problem could be a block of mass 10kg hanging from a pulley with a rope attached to it. The rope is also attached to a block of mass 5kg on the ground. What is the tension in the rope and the acceleration of the system?

5. Where can I find more resources to help me solve pulley problems?

There are many online resources and textbooks available to help with solving pulley problems. You can also consult with a physics teacher or tutor for additional assistance. Practice and familiarizing yourself with different types of pulley problems will also improve your skills in solving them.