What is a Suitable Projectile for a Small Trebuchet?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a 5 pound weight that can fit in a spoon to use as a projectile for their trebuchet. They are concerned about the stability of launching a 5 pound weight from a 75cm^2 base. The other person suggests using a restaurant dish as a projectile, but acknowledges that the speaker is looking for something else.
davie08
all I really need right now is a 5 pound small weight that can fit in a spoon but I don't think there is anything that size that can fit in a spoon that would be lying around a house so what is a good projectile for the trebuchet the size of this one which will have a base of 75cm^2 or about 38 inches^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
davie08 said:
all I really need right now is a 5 pound small weight that can fit in a spoon but I don't think there is anything that size that can fit in a spoon that would be lying around a house so what is a good projectile for the trebuchet the size of this one which will have a base of 75cm^2 or about 38 inches^2.

Are you sure you want to be making a trebuchet that can launch a 5 pounder? from a 75 cm2 base? Seems mighty unstable for so much energy to launch.

As to something that weighs 5 pounds and will fit in a spoon, I could recommend a couple of bad restaurants that served something similar and was good for hurling ... but I think you have something else in mind.

I would recommend using a small bag of sand or gravel as the projectile for your trebuchet. These materials are readily available and can easily fit into a spoon. You can also experiment with different sizes and weights to find the optimal weight for your trebuchet. Additionally, you may want to consider using a safety net or barrier to prevent any accidents while testing your trebuchet. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a type of medieval siege weapon that uses a counterweight and lever system to launch projectiles, such as rocks or other objects, at high speeds and long distances.

2. How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using a counterweight, usually made of heavy objects such as rocks or sandbags, to pull down one end of a long arm. This creates potential energy that is released when the counterweight drops, causing the other end of the arm to swing upwards and launch the projectile.

3. What materials are needed to build a trebuchet?

The materials needed to build a trebuchet vary depending on the size and design of the trebuchet, but common materials include wood for the frame, rope or chain for the sling, and a counterweight such as rocks or sandbags.

4. How accurate is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet can be quite accurate, especially with proper adjustments and fine-tuning. However, factors such as wind and the weight of the projectile can affect the accuracy of a trebuchet's launch.

5. What are the potential dangers of building a trebuchet?

Building a trebuchet can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. The heavy counterweight and swinging arm can cause serious injury if not handled carefully. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and have adult supervision when building and operating a trebuchet.