1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help on my Academic Direction

  1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    Hi, I'm an international student from Malaysia and I recently got accepted to UMass Amherst majoring in Physics for my Bachelors Degree. Should I:

    1. Accept the offer and transfer to a better school (if I get the chance).


    2. Major in Computer Science in a local university that has a American Transfer Degree Program (link: http://www.taylors.edu.my/en/university/schools/adp/us_universities [Broken] ) and transfer to a good school and later on taking a masters degree in physics after my undergraduate studies.

    My main career path is on Physics and especially in High Energy Physics as a matter of fact. I'd just like an opinion on this matter because I don't know if it is wise to go into a school that has the least probability of me transferring to a good* school.

    *good as in having a somewhat reputable name, good education quality and a community with the aptitude to learn because UMass is ( as far as I have heard from student reviews ) infamous for being a party school.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    UMass is a decent place for undergraduate physics. When I was a graduate student in HEP at the U of Michigan, another HEP grad student that I was friends with had come from UMass. He's now a professor at the U of Virginia, still working in HEP.

    So don't turn up your nose at UMass. Just put some cotton in your ears at night if necessary, to drown out the partying noise. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: I need help on my Academic Direction