Is UMass Amherst the Right Choice for My Physics Career Path?

In summary, an international student from Malaysia has been accepted to UMass Amherst for a Bachelor's Degree in Physics. They are considering either accepting the offer or majoring in Computer Science at a local university with a transfer program to a good school. The student's main career path is in High Energy Physics and they are unsure if attending a school known for partying is wise. However, UMass has produced successful graduates in this field and should not be disregarded.
mankin2006
Hi, I'm an international student from Malaysia and I recently got accepted to UMass Amherst majoring in Physics for my Bachelors Degree. Should I:

1. Accept the offer and transfer to a better school (if I get the chance).

or

2. Major in Computer Science in a local university that has a American Transfer Degree Program (link: http://www.taylors.edu.my/en/university/schools/adp/us_universities [Broken] ) and transfer to a good school and later on taking a masters degree in physics after my undergraduate studies.

My main career path is on Physics and especially in High Energy Physics as a matter of fact. I'd just like an opinion on this matter because I don't know if it is wise to go into a school that has the least probability of me transferring to a good* school.

*good as in having a somewhat reputable name, good education quality and a community with the aptitude to learn because UMass is ( as far as I have heard from student reviews ) infamous for being a party school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
UMass is a decent place for undergraduate physics. When I was a graduate student in HEP at the U of Michigan, another HEP grad student that I was friends with had come from UMass. He's now a professor at the U of Virginia, still working in HEP.

So don't turn up your nose at UMass. Just put some cotton in your ears at night if necessary, to drown out the partying noise. :wink:

1. What is "I on my Academic Direction"?

"I on my Academic Direction" is a phrase that refers to a person's individual focus and goals within their academic pursuits. It is a way of expressing personal agency and ownership over one's academic path.

2. How can I discover my academic direction?

Discovering your academic direction involves self-reflection and exploration. Consider your interests, strengths, and values to identify potential areas of study that align with your personal goals and aspirations.

3. Can my academic direction change over time?

Yes, your academic direction is not set in stone and can change as you gain new experiences and perspectives. It is important to regularly reassess and adjust your academic direction to ensure it continues to align with your goals.

4. How does my academic direction impact my career?

Your academic direction can greatly influence your career path. By choosing a direction that aligns with your interests and strengths, you are more likely to find fulfillment and success in your future career.

5. How can I stay focused on my academic direction?

Staying focused on your academic direction involves setting specific goals, creating a plan, and regularly evaluating your progress. Surrounding yourself with a supportive community and seeking guidance from mentors can also help you stay on track.