Help With Homework: Measuring Global Warming Temp Change

• Thread starter vincikai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, researchers are measuring the average temperature of the ocean by measuring the time it takes sound pulses to travel underwater over large distances. The sound speed increases for every 1.0C increase in temperature and the smallest time change that can be reliably detected is 1.0 s. This leads to a formula for calculating the effect of a 1 second decrease in the time it takes for sound to travel on the velocity and temperature of the ocean. Using this formula, it is possible to measure the smallest change in average temperature, which is 0.07 degrees celsius.
vincikai
i need help on my homework!

One way to monitor global warming is to measure the average temperature of the ocean. Researchers are doing this by measuring the time it takes sound pulses to travel underwater over large distances. At a depth of 1000 m, where ocean temperatures hold steady near 4C, the average sound speed is . It's known from laboratory measurements that the sound speed increases for every 1.0C increase in temperature. In one experiment, where sounds generated near California are detected in the South Pacific, the sound waves travel 7600 .

If the smallest time change that can be reliably detected is 1.0 s, what is the smallest change in average temperature that can be measured?

Physics news on Phys.org
have anyone else also use masteringphysics for their homework!? i hate how they grade physics homework through a poorly design and fuked@#%%^%up program. :mad:

I you sure you read the instructions carefully? You didn't read the instructions on where to put homework very carefully!

This looks like a candidate for error analysis. See for example:

http://www.rit.edu/~uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html#addsub"

especially the general formula given in (f) Other Functions: Getting formulas using partial derivatives

Personally I would approach it from the speed of sound side. Taking that the speed of sound is a function of the temperature, T, distance travelled, d, and time, t, to travel this distance. That is

[tex]v = f(T,d,t)[/tex]

It seems the formula for your problem is of the form

[tex]v = v_o +\alpha (T - 4)[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the increase in the speed of sound per unit temperature increase above four degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. I don't understand where this formula comes from. The answer in the textbook is 0.07 degrees celsius. Can I have some more hints please? Sorry, I don't understand. :uhh:

Solution Hints

What andrevdh said is somewhat irrelevant as it doesn't deal with what's being asked or with the information given.

You know how far the sound has traveled and you know the ideal speed.
Manipulating velocity=distance/time, you get time=distance/velocity.

You want to find the effect of a 1 second decrease in the time it takes for the sound to travel on the velocity of that sound and consequently the temperature.

Try subtracting a second from your time that you got above and translating that into velocity using your distances. From there, you should be able to deduce, perhaps using proportions or something, how large of a change you get in temperature from a change in time.

Hope this helps.

What is global warming?

Global warming refers to the long-term increase in Earth's average surface temperature, primarily caused by human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation. This increase in temperature leads to changes in climate patterns and can have negative impacts on the environment and human health.

How is global warming measured?

Global warming can be measured using various methods, including direct temperature measurements from weather stations, satellite data, and ocean buoys. These measurements are then combined to calculate the average global temperature.

What is the current global temperature trend?

The current global temperature trend shows a steady increase in average surface temperature. According to NASA, the Earth's average temperature has risen about 1.2 degrees Celsius since the late 19th century, with the majority of this increase occurring in the past few decades.

What are the consequences of global warming?

The consequences of global warming include rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, loss of biodiversity, and changes in weather patterns. It can also have significant impacts on human health, including heat-related illnesses and the spread of diseases.

How can we help mitigate global warming?

To help mitigate global warming, we can reduce our carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources, reducing energy consumption, and adopting sustainable practices. It is also essential to support policies and actions that aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect the environment.