I on my physics homework It's a 2-Dimensional Projectile Motion problem.

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the given information includes a rocket launched at an angle of 53 degrees from the ground, with an initial velocity of 25 m/s. After a certain point, the rocket experiences engine failure and begins to move as a free body with a constant acceleration of 25 m/s2 for 25 seconds. The question is to determine the horizontal range of the rocket and how far it has traveled. However, there may be some discrepancies in the problem, as some sources state that the rocket accelerates at 25 m/s2 for 25 seconds, while others state that it moves at a constant speed of 25 m/s for 25 seconds. Further clarification may be needed to accurately solve the problem.
esanoussi

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched at an angle that is 53 degrees from the ground. It travels at an initial velocity of 25 m/s, and after a certain point, begins to fly at a constant speed of 25 m/s for 25 seconds. After 25 seconds, the rocket experiences failure and begins to crash toward the ground. What is the horizontal range of the rocket? How far has it traveled?

Givens:

Vi (Initial velocity): 25 m/s
t (Time): 25 seconds
ax (acceleration in the x direction): 0
ay (acceleration in the y direction once the rocket begins to crash): -9.8 m/s2
Vf (final velocity): ?
horizontal range, or [tex]\Delta[/tex]x: ?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + at
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x or [tex]\Delta[/tex]y = Vi(x,y)t+(1/2)at2

I'm not too sure if they'll be necessary, but here are some basic trigonometric equations:

• cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = adjacent side/hypotenuse
    sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = opposite side/hypotenuse
    tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = opposite side/adjacent side

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't find a solution, but with the givens I found, I made the following attempts and observations:

If the rocket launched at an initial velocity of 25m/s, reached a constant speed, and then fell from that distance, then it is safe to say that Vf = -25m/s.

Because Vi = 25m/s and Vf = -25m/s, it is safe to say that [tex]\Delta[/tex]y = 0, because 25 + (-25) = 0.

y:
Vi(y) = 25sin53
[tex]\Delta[/tex]y = 0
ay = -9.8m/s2
t = 25

x:
Vi(x) = 25cos53
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = ?
ax = 0
t = 25

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 25cos53(25) + 0
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = (25cos53)(25)

Now, the question is: if I finish solving for [tex]\Delta[/tex]x, will I get the answer to the question? Is that the horizontal range?

Can someone please try to help me by the end of the day? My homework is due tomorrow, and if I finish it correctly, I will earn 10 extra points toward my Physics Marking Period Exam (which I need badly)!

Physics news on Phys.org

Just a point of clarification, are you sure "after a certain point, begins to fly at a constant speed of 25 m/s for 25 seconds" is correct? I think I have seen this question before (in a book I used to use), and I believe the rocket accelerates at 25 m/s2 for 25 s. But, I may be wrong. It just seesm that "after a certain point" is not enough information to accurately solve this problem.

If I am right, the way you want to attack this problem is to split it up in three parts:
1. What happens while the rocket is accelerating at 53o?
2. What happens between when the rocket's engines shut off and when it reaches it's highest point?
3. What happens on the way from its highest point to the ground?

Let me know if this helps.

Sorry for the double post, but here is the question from one of my old textbooks:

A rocket is launched at an angle of 53o above the horizontal with an initial speed of 75 m/s, as shown in Figure 3-31 (not included). It moves for 25 s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 25 m/s2. At this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a free body.

a. What is the rocket's maximum altitude?
b. What is the rocket's total time of flight?
c. What is the rocket's horizontal range?

I guess there's enough differences between this question and the one in the OP. So, maybe they aren't the same.

I think you're right. The way the question is phrased in your book sounds a lot like the way my teacher said it. (Sorry; he dictates the questions to us and we're just supposed to jot down whatever we hear.)

In that case, I have no idea how to answer the problem. :( I realize that in this HW forum, we're supposed to solve the questions ourselves, which I have every intention of doing, but could you somehow steer me in the right direction, or let me know if I originally was going in the right direction?

1. What is 2-Dimensional Projectile Motion?

2-Dimensional Projectile Motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity, while also being affected by air resistance and any other external forces.

2. How is the motion of a projectile affected by gravity?

Gravity affects the motion of a projectile by constantly pulling it towards the ground. This results in a curved path, known as a parabola, as the projectile moves through the air.

3. What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled by a projectile in 2-Dimensional Projectile Motion?

The formula for calculating distance in 2-Dimensional Projectile Motion is d = v0 * t + 1/2 * a * t2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you calculate the time of flight for a projectile in 2-Dimensional Projectile Motion?

The time of flight for a projectile can be calculated using the formula t = 2 * v0 * sin(theta) / g, where v0 is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile in 2-Dimensional Projectile Motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the horizontal velocity of a projectile as it moves through the air. This results in a shorter horizontal distance traveled compared to a projectile moving in a vacuum. However, air resistance has minimal effect on the vertical motion of the projectile.