Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help on particles measurments

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    Hello everybody:

First of all I will tell you a little about my work, I'm working with the filters as a pretreatment of water,and the main media of my filter is polymer particles (beads),and I need to do some calculations and measurments on the particles ,so please I need your help:

How can I measure these factors:

1- surface area of the beads ( particles )? can I measure it individually?

2- diameter of the beads

3- surface roughness..

4- size of the particles

I'm waiting for your answer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First I would suggest that you ask the manufacturer of the polymer particles if they have this info. I would be surprised if they didn't.
  4. May 18, 2007 #3
    firstly bashir do you have a ruler? then you can estimate 3 of the above, but i think the fourth option is the volume

?? WERD!
  5. May 20, 2007 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The answer to all these questions will depend primarily on the rough size of your particles. A colleague of mine works with polymer beads 800 nm in diameter on average - moreover he did have to characterise the size of the beads and their statistical distribution himself because the manufacturer's data was quite inaccurate.

So what size range are we talking here, mm, microns, nm?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?