1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help on the graphs of antiderivatives

1. Jun 14, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone. I need help.

If there are given 2 graphs in which one of them is the graph of the derivative of the other graph (that graph is the antiderivative - the "original" one), how can I tell the graph of a derivative from a graph of an antiderivative?

In another case: the graph of the derivative is given with some necessary
    information for the graph of the unknown - antiderivative.... how can I
    figure out that required graph of the anitderivative from the given clues?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2004 #2
    I don't know any surefire way, but the first thing I'd look at would be the roots of the functions. The derivative will have a root (i.e be zero) where the original function "is horizontal". Also, it should be easier if the graphs depict polynomials (let's say you're given something that looks like a cubic, and a parabola. The cubic is obviously the original function, since the derivative of a cubic is a parabola...).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  4. Jun 14, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just look at the slope. If the original function is sloping upwards the derivative will be > 0 (above the x-axis)...and when it turns downwards, the derivative falls below te x-axis. And as muzza said, where the function is going through a peak or trough, the derivative will cut across the x-axis. Also, if there are numbers on the x- and y-axes, you can approximate some short section of the function to a straight line and find its slope. This should be the rough value of the derivative function at the same x-value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?