1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help on the moment equation here please

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    I have come to the point in the equation where I need the moment equation to solve for Ay. I am not sure how to get By in term of Ay though. The moment equation I get for Ay is:

∑Mb = 8(-P2) - 20(-P1) - 32(Ay) + 15Ax

I know P1 = 270 - P2

However I am not sure if I even have Ay and Ax right in the ∑Mb equation. Where do I go from here?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2
    Because of the boundary conditions in points A and B, TotalMb and TotalMa should be zero. You could write two different equations from here, and 2 more equations comes from TotalFy and TotalFx. And here you go, you have 4 equations and 4 unknowns, which you can solve for all the unkowns

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3
    Do i have the ΣMb equation right if I wrote it equal to 0?

Ok so for the Fy = 0 equation it would be -Ay -P1 - P2 +By = 0

For the Fx = 0 equation it would be -Ax + Bx = 0 (However, is Ax and Bx the total force across the cable or are the broken up into three components?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted