I on the moment equation here please

• Thread starter Brendan Webb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the person is trying to solve for Ay in the moment equation by using the boundary conditions and total forces equations. They are not sure if they have the equation for Ay correct and are asking for clarification on the components of Ax and Bx in the total force equation.
Brendan Webb
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
I have come to the point in the equation where I need the moment equation to solve for Ay. I am not sure how to get By in term of Ay though. The moment equation I get for Ay is:

∑Mb = 8(-P2) - 20(-P1) - 32(Ay) + 15Ax

I know P1 = 270 - P2

However I am not sure if I even have Ay and Ax right in the ∑Mb equation. Where do I go from here?

Attachments

• 20160209_084350.jpg
    20160209_084350.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 380
  • 20160209_084057.jpg
    20160209_084057.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Because of the boundary conditions in points A and B, TotalMb and TotalMa should be zero. You could write two different equations from here, and 2 more equations comes from TotalFy and TotalFx. And here you go, you have 4 equations and 4 unknowns, which you can solve for all the unkowns

Do i have the ΣMb equation right if I wrote it equal to 0?

Ok so for the Fy = 0 equation it would be -Ay -P1 - P2 +By = 0

For the Fx = 0 equation it would be -Ax + Bx = 0 (However, is Ax and Bx the total force across the cable or are the broken up into three components?)

1. What is the "I on the moment equation"?

The "I on the moment equation" refers to the moment of inertia equation, which is used to calculate the resistance an object has to changes in its rotational motion. It takes into account an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It can also be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which takes into account the object's shape and distribution of mass.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how objects will behave when rotating. It is a crucial factor in determining an object's angular acceleration and how much torque is needed to change its rotational motion.

4. Can the moment of inertia change?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change depending on the object's shape, mass, and distribution of mass. It can also change if the object's axis of rotation is altered or if the object is deformed in some way.

5. How is the moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing vehicles, machinery, and structures that need to rotate. It is also used in sports equipment, such as calculating the moment of inertia of a golf club or tennis racket to improve performance.