I need help on the physics problem. (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Here's the problem:
Marie slides a carte of nails across a hardwood floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the carte and the floor is 0.120. The crate has a mass of 56.8kg and marie pushes with a horizontal force of 124N. If the 74.4J of total work are done on the crate, how far along the floor does it move?

I'm a lil confused. I know that the equation of kinetic friction is fk=uk * N
But i have problem in determining where i put the variables in the equation.
Im so lost can someone pleaze help me?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf

hi rghost90! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

hint: what is the definition of work done on the crate?

Hi and thank you. The problem doesn't state the definition of the crate. Or are you asking what is the definition of work on the crate? In that case, work is the object that is in motion due to a force and a displacement right?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
no, i mean what is the standard definition of "work done"?

ummmm when an object has a force or a cause, that causes its displacement?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
work done = force times displacement (strictly, force "dot" the displacement of the point of application of the force) :smile:

does that help? :wink:

oh you meant the equation of work? yeah i get that. Im having a problem on how to find the total displacement of the crate.

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
oh you meant the equation of work? yeah i get that. Im having a problem on how to find the total displacement of the crate.
that's the question!! :rolleyes:

Use the definition of work done to write an equation, and put the given figures into the equation …

what do you get?​

oh ok I think I get it. So basically the equation of work is F= W*d. So I have to rearrange the equation so that its d= F*W? and that will get me my total displacement right?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
oh ok I think I get it. So basically the equation of work is F= W*d. So I have to rearrange the equation so that its d= F*W? and that will get me my total displacement right?
Yup! :smile:

(except it's W = Fd, and anyway you've re-arranged it wrong :redface:)

oh lol oops. Yeah thats what I meant to say. Im such a noob at physics

ok i got 9225.6. That isnt the final answer is it? dont I have to divide by the kinetic friction or something?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You had to multiply by µ to find the force.

Once you've done that, you can forget about µ. :wink:

oh ok. So I multiplied the force (124N) by µ (0.120). Then I plugged the total force (14.88) into the "work done" equation ( d= F*W) and then multiplied by the total work (74.7J) and got 1107.072.

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi rghost90! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
oh ok. So I multiplied the force (124N) by µ (0.120). Then I plugged the total force (14.88) into the "work done" equation ( d= F*W) and then multiplied by the total work (74.7J) and got 1107.072.
erm … you've done it again! :redface:

it's W = Fd.

Try again. :smile:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic