Solving a Physics Problem: Calculating Distance with Kinetic Friction and Work

• Thread starter rghost90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: You multiplied the force (124N) by µ (0.120). Then you plugged that number into the "work done" equation (d=F*W), and got 1107.072.
rghost90
Here's the problem:
Marie slides a carte of nails across a hardwood floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the carte and the floor is 0.120. The crate has a mass of 56.8kg and marie pushes with a horizontal force of 124N. If the 74.4J of total work are done on the crate, how far along the floor does it move?

I'm a lil confused. I know that the equation of kinetic friction is fk=uk * N
But i have problem in determining where i put the variables in the equation.
Im so lost can someone pleaze help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf

hi rghost90! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

hint: what is the definition of work done on the crate?

Hi and thank you. The problem doesn't state the definition of the crate. Or are you asking what is the definition of work on the crate? In that case, work is the object that is in motion due to a force and a displacement right?

no, i mean what is the standard definition of "work done"?

ummmm when an object has a force or a cause, that causes its displacement?

work done = force times displacement (strictly, force "dot" the displacement of the point of application of the force) :smile:

does that help? :wink:

oh you meant the equation of work? yeah i get that. I am having a problem on how to find the total displacement of the crate.

rghost90 said:
oh you meant the equation of work? yeah i get that. I am having a problem on how to find the total displacement of the crate.

that's the question! :rolleyes:

Use the definition of work done to write an equation, and put the given figures into the equation …

what do you get?​

oh ok I think I get it. So basically the equation of work is F= W*d. So I have to rearrange the equation so that its d= F*W? and that will get me my total displacement right?

rghost90 said:
oh ok I think I get it. So basically the equation of work is F= W*d. So I have to rearrange the equation so that its d= F*W? and that will get me my total displacement right?

Yup! :smile:

(except it's W = Fd, and anyway you've re-arranged it wrong :redface:)

oh lol oops. Yeah that's what I meant to say. I am such a noob at physics

ok i got 9225.6. That isn't the final answer is it? don't I have to divide by the kinetic friction or something?

You had to multiply by µ to find the force.

Once you've done that, you can forget about µ. :wink:

oh ok. So I multiplied the force (124N) by µ (0.120). Then I plugged the total force (14.88) into the "work done" equation ( d= F*W) and then multiplied by the total work (74.7J) and got 1107.072.

hi rghost90! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
rghost90 said:
oh ok. So I multiplied the force (124N) by µ (0.120). Then I plugged the total force (14.88) into the "work done" equation ( d= F*W) and then multiplied by the total work (74.7J) and got 1107.072.

erm … you've done it again! :redface:

it's W = Fd.

Try again. :smile:

1. What is the first step in solving a physics problem?

The first step in solving any physics problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. This includes identifying the given information, what is being asked, and any relevant equations or concepts that may apply.

2. How do I choose the right equation to use in a physics problem?

Choosing the right equation involves understanding the problem and identifying the variables that are given and what needs to be solved for. From there, you can use your knowledge of physics principles to determine which equation relates to the given variables.

3. Why is it important to show all of my work when solving a physics problem?

Showcasing your work allows you to track your thought process and identify any errors that may have occurred. It also helps others understand how you arrived at your solution and allows for a more accurate evaluation of your work.

4. How can I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

If possible, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. Additionally, you can compare your answer to known values or use dimensional analysis to ensure the correct units are present.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, it is best to take a step back and review the given information and what you are trying to solve for. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking assistance from a teacher or peer. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective can also be helpful.