How to Create a Four-Digit Student Identification Number in C++?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter spinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary: You should not need a loop for this. Just read an integer and test it with an if-statement to see if it's in the proper range.
spinner
how can i make a student identification number to be a four digit integer and when you type 0 for the identification number it will terminates. thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
use an unsigned integer. when the id equals 0 break; or use a while loop.

while (idnum=4)
{
printf("Input ID number");
scanf("%d", &idnum);

if (idnum = 0)
break;
}
printf("ID number %d", idnum);

any correction from my while statement coz i can't get the exact 4 digit integer for the id number thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:
You shouldn't need a loop for this. Just read an integer and test it with an if-statement to see if it's in the proper range. What are the largest and smallest possible values for a four-digit ID number?

ok thanks jt ill try to work on it

oh i thought you wanted to keep taking in ID# until 0...other wise there's no point in using the word "termination". In the while loop do you know which equals sign to use? You want the comparative/relational operator. same with teh if statement. My bad you just want it within a range. you what jtbell said is correct

my problem states that "student identification numbers are four-digit integers. input should terminate when i type 0 for the student identification number" sorry guys I am having a hard time wth the problem need help..

Well there are two scenarios from the posed question.

[0] That you need only to accept 1 ID and check that it is within range
[1] That you keep accepting IDs within range until 0 is inputted.(thus a loop)
the sentence "input should terminate when i type 0" to me would imply the second scenario for loop. Perhaps you should ask your professor(i'm guessing this is a homework problem) to clarify

Yeah, I was focusing on the four-digit integer requirement and your first guess at a solution which looked like you were trying to read four digits, one digit at a time.

If you've been studying loops in class just now, then neurocomp2003's scenario [2] is probably what you want. But if that doesn't clearly agree with the full statement of the assignment, then you should definitely ask your instructor.

to jt and neo thanks guys for the help...im almost near with solution...actually its my midterm exam. its the only one that i left unsolved the rest are doing fine...best regards to both of you guys...

BE VERY CAREFUL with your equals signs in if and while statements. The following if statement:

if (idnum = 0)

WILL NOT WORK. The single '=' means assignment; the result of this statement is that idnum is actually assigned the value 0, not compared with 0. The if statement will never run, because 0 means false.

What you want, instead, is the '==' operator, which means comparison:

if (idnum == 0)

- Warren

spinner said:
actually its my midterm exam.

Are you allowed to use outside assistance on exams?

Hahahahaha.....

the admin can close the thread. problem already been solved thanks for the help guys...

What is the problem I am trying to solve in this C++ code?

The specific problem will vary depending on the code and the individual's project. It could involve debugging, finding an efficient solution, or understanding a specific concept.

What are the steps to solve this C++ problem?

The steps to solve a C++ problem will depend on the specific problem. Generally, it involves understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, writing and testing code, and troubleshooting any errors.

How can I improve my C++ coding skills?

To improve C++ coding skills, it is important to practice regularly, read and understand code written by others, and stay updated on new language features and techniques. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from experienced programmers or take online courses.

Can I use online resources or ask for help when solving this C++ problem?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to use online resources or ask for help when solving a C++ problem. It is important to properly credit any resources used and to make sure the help you receive is for understanding, rather than copying, the code.

What are some common mistakes or errors to watch out for when working on this C++ problem?

Common mistakes or errors when working on a C++ problem include syntax errors, logic errors, and memory leaks. It is important to carefully review and test the code to catch and fix these errors.