Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help on Vibration book

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am an undergraduate student of Mechanical Engineering in Jakarta, Indonesia.

I’ve found all of these Vibration books in my library:

Vibration for Engineers, 2nd Ed.
    by Andrew Dimaragonas
    Prentice Hall

An Introduction to Mechanical Vibrations, 3rd Ed.
    by Robert F. Steidel

Vibration Problems in Engineering, 5th Ed.
    by W. Weaver, Jr., S. P. Timoshenko, D. H. Young
    John-Wiley & Sons, 1990

Mechanical Vibrations - Theory and Application to Structural Dynamics, 2nd Ed.
    by M. Géradin, D. Rixen
    John-Wiley, 1997

Principles and Techniques of Vibrations
    by Leonard Meirovitch
    Prentice Hall, 1997

Theory of Vibration with Applications, 5th Ed.
    by William T. Thomson, Marie Dillon Dahleh
    Prentice Hall, 1997

Can anyone here, especially a same as Mechanical Engineering student, give me any advices and suggests regarding all of above Vibration books in which best to learn for Asian student like me?

Please send me your valuable suggestion

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2
    I've had the Thomson book for a Mechanical Vibrations class and felt it was next to useless. The feeling was shared by my classmates. It is a very comprehensive textbook, but written more for someone who is reviewing the concept rather than learning it the first time.

If you're in an undergraduate course in Vibrations the best book for you to go through is a Dynamics textbook. You might be amazed how much that review can help with the subject material.
  4. Feb 9, 2008 #3
    See if you can get mechanical vibrations by Tse. It's an old text, so you should be able to get it cheap.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?