I on what I need to go to

• Thread starter hyious
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's interest in attending either Cambridge or Oxford University, and their concerns about the application process and requirements. They are currently in high school with a high GPA and are interested in studying astrophysics, physics, and cosmology. They are also considering enrolling in a foreign exchange program to obtain GCSEs. The other person suggests looking into the application process through UCAS and mentions that these universities have tough admission standards for international students. They also suggest considering other universities with strong astronomy/physics programs.
hyious
Cambridge university or Oxford. I probably won't have any chance at getting there, but I would like to apply once I'm done high school.

Right now I'm at a 95% average, and I'm taking academic courses instead of applied. I've heard of stuff such as GCSEs and A*'s and I have no clue of what they are. I live in Canada right now, and I would be so delighted to have someone assist me. What my GPA would need to be to what courses I would like to take.

I'm very interested in astrophysics, physics, astronomy. Most of all I love cosmology and math. Do you guys have any idea?

Would I need to be reconized as a foreign student or what? I'm getting really stressed right now.

By the way, my GPA is around 3.74.

Edit:
Also, I graduate my high school at 17 years old, and I've also heard that mostly everyone is older then 18. Would it be smart to enroll in a foreign exchange program and get my GCSE's somehow that way?

Physics news on Phys.org
About 1 in 5 get in, but it's less for internationals.

You will find that the application process is explained in great detail at
http://www.cam.ac.uk/"
http://www.ox.ac.uk/"

You have to apply though UCAS for UK schools. It's a common app.
http://www.ucas.com/"

Your GPA would have to be close to a 4.0, these are very tough schools to get into, especially being an international.

If you love math and cosmology, then astronomy/astrophysics is your thing. I'm currently applying to various universities with great astronomy/physics programs(Clemson, OSU, Arizona, Penn State, MSU).

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand your excitement and passion for astrophysics, physics, astronomy, and cosmology. It is commendable that you are already thinking about your academic path and future opportunities at such a young age.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that both Cambridge University and Oxford University are highly reputable and competitive institutions, and it is not impossible for you to have a chance at getting accepted. Your current high average is a great start, and it is important to continue working hard and maintaining your grades.

In terms of the GCSEs and A*s, these are qualifications offered in the UK education system. They stand for General Certificate of Secondary Education and are typically taken at the age of 16. A*s are the highest grade achievable in these exams. It is not necessary for you to have GCSEs or A*s to apply to Cambridge or Oxford, but having a strong academic background and excellent grades will certainly increase your chances.

As for your GPA, it is difficult to determine what your equivalent would be in the UK education system. However, it is important to note that these universities look at a variety of factors, such as your academic achievements, personal statement, and standardized test scores (if required). So, do not solely focus on your GPA, but also work on developing a well-rounded application.

In terms of being recognized as a foreign student, this will depend on your citizenship and residency status. I would recommend reaching out to the admissions offices of both universities for more information on their specific requirements for international students.

Regarding your age, it is true that most students at Cambridge and Oxford are over 18. However, this should not discourage you from applying. As long as you meet the academic requirements and have the necessary qualifications, your age should not be a barrier. And while a foreign exchange program can be a great opportunity, it is not necessary for you to enroll in one in order to apply to these universities.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on excelling in your academic courses, continue exploring your interests in astrophysics and math, and research the specific requirements and application process for both Cambridge and Oxford. It is also important to keep in mind that there are many other excellent universities and opportunities in the field of astrophysics and cosmology, so do not limit yourself to just these two institutions. Good luck in your academic journey!

1. What is "I on what I need to go to"?

"I on what I need to go to" is not a complete or clear phrase. It is possible that you meant to ask about something specific, such as "information on what I need to go to (a specific place or event)". Please provide more context or clarification so that I can accurately answer your question.

2. How can I find out what I need to go to a specific event or place?

The best way to find out what you need to go to a specific event or place is to do some research. Look up the event or place online and see if there are any requirements or recommended items listed. You can also contact the organizers or venue directly for more information. Additionally, you can ask friends or family who have been to similar events or places for their advice.

3. Do I need any specific documents or identification to go to a certain location?

It depends on the location and your personal circumstances. Some places may require specific documents or forms of identification, such as a valid passport or government-issued ID. It is best to check with the location or event organizers beforehand to see if there are any specific requirements.

4. Can I go to a certain event or place without any prior planning?

It is possible to go to certain events or places without prior planning, but it is not recommended. Some events or places may have limited capacity or require advance reservations. It is always best to plan ahead and do some research to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience.

5. How can I prepare for going to a new location or event?

There are a few things you can do to prepare for going to a new location or event. First, do some research to familiarize yourself with the location and any requirements. Next, make a list of any necessary documents, items, or preparations you need to make. Lastly, plan your transportation and give yourself enough time to arrive at the location.