1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help please.

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Hey guys
    iam very very confused and sad at the same time,
    iam in the 11th grade, and i have selected biology, chemistry and physics as my science courses. I have also selected University level functions.

Now, yesterday i had my first test for math. Prior to that, i did my homework daily, and spent lots of time on it. I worked hard.. but on the test day, as i got the test, i was having some trouble. I now assume i did horrible on that test...

I always get above 80% in all my courses but math, i dont know why. In fact iam always considered as one of the top students.. but its just math, i dont know why..
    they say if you do your homework and pay attention you should do just fine, i have been doing that and after what happened on my first test, iam extremely upset.. because i should be a student who should be getting one of the higher marks,
    iam extremely upset.. and i dont know whats wrong. i do my homework, pay attention in class..
    can some one help me ? please.. .

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

Are there tutors available to you? A tutor can help you find your problem areas and give you suggestions on how to improve.

4. Sep 17, 2011 #3
    Yes there are tutors, i am planning on getting one.. i really need an 85 in this course.. i dont know what to do , and its only the second week of school.. iam already soo stressed, iam going to end up become really depressed.. i dont know waht to do..

5. Sep 17, 2011 #4

Dembadon

Gold Member

Relax. :smile:

Your tutor will be able to help you improve the weak areas that are hurting your scores. There's no reason to to feel depressed about something that hasn't happened yet. Focus your attention and emotional energy on your tutoring sessions!

6. Sep 17, 2011 #5
    thanks , but do you think if i score higher marks constantly , my teacher will take the first test into consideration and not count it as much.. it was a chapter test, not a unit test

7. Sep 17, 2011 #6
    also, what are some tips for doing good in math? other then, doing your homework and paying attention in class

8. Sep 17, 2011 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

I'm not sure--you should ask about it. Sometimes instructors will drop a student's lowest score, but this is certainly not guaranteed.

9. Sep 17, 2011 #8

Dembadon

Gold Member

I usually have to work problems beyond what's assigned in the homework. Consider the homework problem sets to be the bare minimum. The goal is to understand what you're doing and why you're doing it, which sometimes requires other sources (tutors, books, PF! :smile:) in addition to what's assigned or covered in class.

The most important thing I can tell you about learning mathematics is to work many, many problems. Think about what you're doing and why you're doing it. If you don't understand something, ask about it!

Everyone has difficulty at some point. You'll get through this.

10. Sep 17, 2011 #9
    thanks for the motiviation and adivce.. i have no 1 to speak to about my problems, except from my family who always say i can do it,
    i really want a good mark in math, thanks for all the help.. !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook