Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help plotting some data using octave

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a tutorial that would allow me to plot a set of data using octave. Everything seems to be teaching me how to plot functions.

but say I have a list of data saved in a text file. How do I turn this into an xy scatter? Is this possible using octave?

I can do this easily using other programs, but they do not have built in polar plot functions, so I always have to convert them to cartesian graphs. I know how to plot polar functions in octave, so was hoping that if I learned how to plot datasets I could turn them into polar plots easily.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2
    alright I have figured out everything EXCEPT how to get in error bars. I have my measurement error values in both the angle, and intensity. They are in this format in my .dat file

angle intensity angle-error intensity-error

any thoughts on how to get these showing? I can't get them showing in gnuplot either...

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    You should have some success with GNUPlot using:

Code (Text):

plot "gnudem.txt" using 1:2:3:4  with xyerrorbars

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook