Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help quick, I've done a Hommer

1. Apr 2, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

A rather posh lady called around, she had heard that i used to be a sparky, she wanted me to fit a 13amp socket
    in her new house, sure i said i can do do the donkey work but a certified electrician would have to connect it up.

So i went around to her house and eyed the job up, no problem i thought i will be done in a couple of hours.
    I went home and gathered my up my tools, a quick cup of tea and the lady said she was going away for the week and would i be ok on my own, no problem i said .

The first job was to chase out the wall for the cable and socket, so i fetched out my bolster chisel and started work,
    all went well until it came to chasing out for the socket, the wall is made of breeze block and as i was hammering away the whole breeze block gave away (it pushed back about 2inches), oh sh1t i thought all the plaster has cracked as well.

I thought better look next door to see what the damage is, well the newly decorated room had a neat oblong
    bulge in the wall, the wall paper had ripped and there is breeze block dust all over her white shag pile carpet

So what to do should i call a builder to patch up the wall. a decorator to re paper the wall (heck knows if i can match up the paper) .and what about the carpet, i have washed it but it looks grey in that area now???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2015 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh dear, Woolie! No way to contact the lady?

I guess I'd get the patch work done, but wait on the wall paper. Who knows, she may have been ready to get rid of the old stuff anyway.

4. Apr 2, 2015 #3

wolram

Gold Member

The wall paper is new Lisa, i guess i could have a go at re plastering, it's the wall paper and carpet i am worried about:nb)

5. Apr 2, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did you have a wet vac/steam cleaner for the carpet? It will take a bit of time washing the spot this way, but it should get the white stuff out. You should let the woman know what happened rather than hide it, it was an accident and not your fault the block was loose.

6. Apr 2, 2015 #5

wolram

Gold Member

she is going to kill me Evo:nb) I used a wet brush on the carpet

7. Apr 2, 2015 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OMG Wolly. It's been good knowing you.

8. Apr 2, 2015 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks digoff, nice knowing you too, i feel so guilty i guess i must make some effort to make amends.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook