I rationalizing the numerator

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about rationalizing square roots and the difficulty in doing so. The individual is looking for an example of how to rationalize a square root, but it is mentioned that it cannot be done. The suggestion is made to possibly take a different approach.
afcwestwarrior
when u use square roots, here's an example
lim 9-t/3-squareroot of t
t approaches 9
all i need is an example on how u rationalize the sqaure root of something, i know how to rationalize regular stuff, but i forgot how to rationalize sqaure roots

Physics news on Phys.org
no one knows how to do it,

I hope I've understood your question: you wish to rationalise a surd (which is irrational)? No it can't be done.

Would you like to rewrite the question in Latex? I'm not quite sure what it is that you're trying to do. Perhaps you are taking the wrong approach?

it's ok i figured it out

What does it mean to rationalize the numerator?

Rationalizing the numerator refers to the process of rewriting a fraction so that the numerator (the top number) does not contain any radicals or irrational numbers. This is typically done in order to simplify the expression or make it easier to work with.

Why would you need to rationalize the numerator?

Rationalizing the numerator is necessary when working with certain types of equations or expressions, such as when solving quadratic equations or simplifying radical expressions. It allows for easier manipulation and computation.

How do you rationalize the numerator?

The most common method for rationalizing the numerator is to multiply both the numerator and denominator of the fraction by the conjugate of the denominator. This eliminates the radical in the numerator and results in a simplified expression.

What is the conjugate of a denominator?

The conjugate of a denominator is the same expression with the opposite sign between the terms. For example, the conjugate of √a + b would be √a - b. When multiplying a fraction by its conjugate, the terms in the denominator will cancel out, leaving a rationalized numerator.

Can you provide an example of rationalizing the numerator?

Yes, for a fraction such as 1/√2, the conjugate of the denominator √2 is √2. Multiplying both the numerator and denominator by √2 gives us (1√2)/(√2√2) which simplifies to √2/2, resulting in a rationalized numerator.