• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I need help really bad and fast

• Thread starter physica
  • Start date
finding acceleration due to gravity

ok, i have no clue on what to do. Question: If a 13.7kg mass weighs 50.4N on the surface of ganymede. what is the acceleration due to gravity on ganymede? thats all the information that was in the question, im really confused on how to do this question because it has no other imformation............if someone would tell me if theres any formula for this question that would be great :smile:

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Do you know Newton's laws of gravitation? If you have them, or any, look at those. If you still don't understand, post the laws you know and we will go from there. But look carefully for his laws. I'm sure they're in your textbook somewhere.

ok, the formulas i know are: Fg=mg, Fg=G (m1 m2 / R squared),

alright take your equation Fg=mg...this is all you need to solve for the accel due to gravity on ganymede

ok, one more problem, m=mass Fg=force of gravity g=accel due to gravity, thats what i understand them to mean, and i dont know what to do with the mass's, im very very new at this stuff

Fg is measured in N, and then you need to manipulate the equation so g is isolated. Does that help?

so, g=Fg/m which would be g=13.7kg/50.4N =0.27m/s^2??

no, m=13.7 kg, Fg=50.4

ok, so its g=50.4N/13.7kg =3.69m/s^2

yeah, that's more reasonable than 0.27, Ganymede is a moon, not an asteroid, and yeah, that's right, it's real easy once you get the hang of it.

thank you soooooo much,