Solving Homework Equations with Superposition & Norton's Theorem

• Thread starter MICHEAL
  • Start date
In summary, a student is seeking help with determining currents using superposition, Norton's theorem, and Thevenin's theorem. They are also looking for resources to help them solve more complex questions.
MICHEAL

Homework Statement

I have pasted the diagram with the attached file so any explanation

I am trying to find the answer to this questions and I am reading ahead of my exams this next January . And I am going through the past questions

a. Determine current flowing through 2 ohms resistor using superposition and nortons theorem

b. Determine the current flowing across 8R ohms resistor using thevenems and Nortons

Please I need a site that can give different examples on how to solve more complex questions Please I just like your help. It will prepare me a lot

Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• I am trying to find the answer to this questions and I am reading ahead of my exams this next Janua
    26.5 KB · Views: 174
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, MICHEEL. One of the rules here on the PF is that you must show us your own work and thoughts in order for us to provide tutorial help. We do not give out answers here on the PF.

Do you know how to write the Kirchoff Current Law equations for the nodes in that circuit? That is the best way to approach this type of problem.

I am happy to see that you are actively studying and preparing for your exams. Superposition and Norton's Theorem are important concepts in electrical circuits, and I am glad that you are seeking help to better understand them.

To answer your first question, using superposition and Norton's Theorem, we can determine the current flowing through the 2 ohms resistor by breaking down the circuit into smaller parts and calculating the current in each part separately. This can be done by replacing all the independent sources (such as voltage or current sources) with their internal resistances, and then using the formula for Norton's Theorem to calculate the current in each part. Once we have the individual currents, we can add them up to get the total current flowing through the 2 ohms resistor.

For your second question, we can use Thevenin's Theorem and Norton's Theorem to determine the current flowing across the 8 ohms resistor. Thevenin's Theorem states that any linear circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor in series. Similarly, Norton's Theorem states that the same circuit can be replaced by a single current source and a single resistor in parallel. By using these theorems, we can simplify the circuit and calculate the current across the 8 ohms resistor.

As for finding more examples to practice, there are many online resources and textbooks that provide step-by-step explanations and examples of using superposition and Norton's Theorem in solving complex circuit problems. I recommend checking out websites such as Khan Academy and All About Circuits for helpful tutorials and practice problems. Additionally, your textbook or class notes may also have more examples for you to work on. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and I am sure you will do well on your exams. Best of luck!

1. How does superposition work when solving homework equations?

Superposition is a method used to solve equations with multiple sources by considering each source separately. This involves setting all other sources to zero and solving the equation for each individual source. Finally, the total solution is obtained by summing the individual solutions.

2. What is Norton's theorem and how is it used in solving homework equations?

Norton's theorem states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent current source and a resistor in parallel. This allows for simplification of complex circuits and makes it easier to solve equations using the current source and resistor values.

3. Are there any limitations to using superposition and Norton's theorem in solving homework equations?

Yes, superposition and Norton's theorem can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the components must have a linear relationship between voltage and current. They also cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources.

4. Can superposition and Norton's theorem be used for circuits with multiple independent sources?

Yes, superposition and Norton's theorem can be used for circuits with multiple independent sources. Each source is treated separately and the solutions are summed together to obtain the total solution.

5. How do I know when to use superposition and Norton's theorem in solving homework equations?

Superposition and Norton's theorem are most useful when solving for voltages and currents in complex circuits with multiple sources. It is important to check the limitations listed in question 3 before deciding to use these methods.