I solving this problem, I have started but I don't know if I got it right

• Thread starter marilu28
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves determining the cost to supply enough vanillin to detect it in an aircraft hanger with a volume of 5.0 x 107ft3. By doing unit conversions and calculations, it was determined that the cost would be approximately $6.36 x 10^-2 or $0.064. This highlights the sensitivity of the human sense of smell.
marilu28
Vanillin (used to flavor foods) can be detected at 2.0 x 10-11 g/L of air. If the current price of 50g of vanillin is $112, determine the cost to supply enough Vanillin so that you would be able to detect it in an aircraft hanger with a volume of 5.0 x 107ft3

What I did was 5.0x107ft3 x28.32L= 1.42x109L, then I did

2.0x10^-11*g/L 1.42 x10^9L= 2.84x10^-2 g, then

2.84x10^-2 g* $112/50g= $6.36 x10^-2 or $.064?? but it does not seem right to me. Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org

Yup that looks right.

Nice problem. I think the point of this, in addition to making you work out how to do unit conversions and so on, is to demonstrate how incredibly sensitive your sense of smell can be.

1. How can I tell if my solution to a problem is correct?

The most reliable way to determine if your solution is correct is to use the scientific method. This involves forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments to test it, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions. If your results match your predictions, then your solution is likely correct.

2. What should I do if I am unsure about my solution?

If you are unsure about your solution, it is always best to seek feedback from other scientists or experts in the field. They can provide valuable insights and help you identify any potential errors in your approach.

3. How can I check my calculations to ensure accuracy?

Double-checking your calculations is an important step in problem-solving. You can do this by going through your calculations step by step, using multiple methods to solve the problem, or by using computer software or tools designed for accuracy checks.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a problem include jumping to conclusions without sufficient evidence, not considering alternative explanations, and not thoroughly testing your solution. It is also important to keep an open mind and be willing to revise your approach if necessary.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved by practicing regularly, seeking feedback from others, and keeping up-to-date with the latest developments in your field. It is also helpful to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach, and to constantly question and evaluate your methods and results.