1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help thinking of a project

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    Good day. I'm a 11th grade IB student and i need help thinking of a nice physics project. Could you guys recommend me any nice ones? Preferably ones that would take 2 weeks to a month since i need to complete a certain number of hours doing the project. I'd take into consideration any project just as long it's related to physics and the project will be a bit long. Thanks a bunch!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2
    I don't know how in depth you want it, but a ballistics block would be fun. It's a block used to calculate the velocity of a projectile.

Steps in using a ballistics pendulum:
    1) Hang the pendulum in a near-frictionless manner (from fishing line, etc)
    2) Shoot a projectile at the block
    3) Record how far the blocks move (note that the projectile must stick to the block in order to keep calculations simple)
    4) Use conservation of momentum equation to solve for the initial speed of the bullet. You can then go on to calculate the force on the bullet from the gun, etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?