1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help to solve a problem with bunjee jumping

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    I need help to solve a problem with bunjee jumping!!!

I need to find the lengh and the K (spring constant) for a jump of 150ft. when they rebound they must avoid an obstacle that extends 15ft below the point at which they jump.

please help!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you done to try to solve the problem? What additional information do you have about the bungee cord?

4. Oct 16, 2006 #3
    We start to solve with the conservatiion of energy

1/2ks^2 + 1/2mV^2 + mgh = 1/2ks^2 + 1/2mV^2 + mgh

but with that we only have when the mass not hit the ground, the hard part is how with the same information the mass when rebound not hit the 15ft obstacle bellow the start point???

the information of the cord is what we need to find using different long cord and different mass....

5. Oct 16, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem is that if energy is conserved you cannot avoid returning to the same height as you started. If the cord absorbs some energy (realistically it will) then you will return to a lower height. I don't know much about bungee cords. Do you have any specifications?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?