I , trignometric substitutions problem

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration problem of ∫1/ ((t^3) sqrt t^2-1) * dt and suggests using a substitution of t=sec(theta) and dt=sec(theta)*tan(theta). The conversation also mentions the identity sec^2(theta)-1=tan^2(theta) and suggests using a u-substitution. There is a brief discussion about the correct form of cos^2(theta).
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

∫1/ ((t^3) sqrt t^2-1) * dt

Homework Equations

sqrt x^2 - a^2 , x=a sec theta , substitution 0 less than or equal to theta less than pi/2
identity, sec^2 theta-1 = tan^2 theta

The Attempt at a Solution

ok here we go
t= sec theta , dt= sec theta * tan theta
sqrt t^2-1= sqrt sec^2 theta -1 = tan theta

so i plug it in now
∫1/ (t^3) sqrt t^2-1 * dt = ∫dt/ (t^3) sqrt t^2-1=∫ sec theta * tan theta/ sec^3 theta * tan theta

=∫(1/sec^2 theta) * d theta

what do i do now

do i put in 1+ tan^2x for sec^2 theta
and use the u substitution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{\sec^2 \theta} \, d\theta}
[/tex]

what do you know about the secant function in terms of something other than tangent?

do i turn it into cos^2 theta

Yes -

[tex]
\int \frac 1 {\sec^2 \theta} \, d\theta = \int \cos^2 \theta \, d\theta
[/tex]

What can be done with [tex] \cos^2 \theta [/tex]?

it'll equal 1/2 (1+2cos) theta right

I'm having a difficult time parsing your final comment, but if you wrote

[tex]
\cos^2 \theta = \frac 1 2 \left( 1 + 2 \cos \theta \right)
[/tex]

I would advise you to check the double-angle formula again (check what the
statement above says for [tex] \theta = 0 [/tex] if you don't see why it is incorrect.) If I misinterpreted your work I apologize.

That's what I meant. It's ok apology accepted.

afcwestwarrior said:
That's what I meant. It's ok apology accepted.

erm … statdad was tactfully apologising for suggesting that you'd got it wrong … which you have …

[tex]\cos^2 \theta = \frac 1 2 \left( 1 + 2 \cos \theta \right)[/tex] is wrong.

Try again! :smile:

As TinyTim points out (thanks, by the way :smile:)

[tex]
\cos^2 \theta = \frac 1 2 \left( 1 + 2 \cos \theta \right)
[/tex]

is not correct .
Look very carefully at your reference book and compare the version in it to the one you wrote and we've reposted.

Ok thank you.

1. What is a trignometric substitution problem?

A trignometric substitution problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves replacing a variable in an equation with a trignometric function in order to simplify the problem. This technique is often used to solve integrals involving trignometric functions.

2. How do I identify when to use a trignometric substitution?

A trignometric substitution is typically used when dealing with integrals that involve expressions containing the square root of a quadratic polynomial, or when the integral contains trignometric functions raised to an even power.

3. What are the most commonly used trignometric substitutions?

The most commonly used trignometric substitutions are the ones that involve the substitution of sin x, cos x, or tan x for a variable in the equation. These substitutions are often used because they help in simplifying the problem and making it easier to solve.

4. What are some tips for solving trignometric substitution problems?

One helpful tip for solving trignometric substitution problems is to first identify which substitution to use by looking at the expression in the integral. It is also important to carefully apply the substitution and simplify the resulting expression before solving the integral. Additionally, it is helpful to be familiar with the properties of trignometric functions and their derivatives.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trignometric substitution problems?

One common mistake to avoid is incorrectly applying the chosen substitution. It is also important to be mindful of the signs and constants when simplifying the resulting expression. Another mistake to avoid is forgetting to substitute the original variable back into the solution after solving the integral.