I trying to decide on a project.

• Thread starter Darth Frodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation includes a student discussing their interest in classical mechanics and their desire to use numerical computation to model a situation involving solving ODEs. They ask for help in choosing a situation that would yield an ODE to solve and suggest several ideas, including the motion of a rain droplet, a drop of water dripping from a faucet, the flight of a frisbee, and the flight of a baseball with spin. They also mention the use of the Open Source Physics website for modeling in Java.
Darth Frodo
Hi all, I am taking a Numerical Computation course this year which basically consists of learning MATLAB and R. We are tasked with doing a mini research project which involves using either of theses environments.

I am most interested in classical mechanics and have recently taken a course in ODEs so I am thinking something involving solving ODEs numerically rather than analytically.

The problem is I'm having a tough time getting to an ODE. I need help in choosing a situation which when modeled, will yield an ODE to solve.

One idea I have is looking at the motion of a rain droplet on a window.

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a drop of water dripping from a faucet?

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/softmat/downloads/2005-06.pdf

http://pre.aps.org/pdf/PRE/v55/i6/p6776_1

or the flight of a frisbee?

http://biosport.ucdavis.edu/researc...ation-and-throw-biomechanics/HummelThesis.pdf

http://scripts.mit.edu/~womens-ult/frisbee_physics.pdf

or the flight of a baseball with various kinds of spin?

http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/AJPFeb08.pdf

Also you can check the Open Source Physics website for various kinds of modeling in Java:

www.compadre.org/osp

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the steps to selecting a project?

1. Identify your interests and strengths: Consider what topics or areas of science you are passionate about and what skills you possess.

2. Research potential projects: Use online resources, talk to other scientists, and read scientific literature to gather ideas and information about potential projects.

3. Consider feasibility: Think about the time, resources, and expertise required for each project and determine which ones are feasible for you to undertake.

4. Narrow down your choices: Based on your interests, research, and feasibility, narrow down your list of potential projects to a few top choices.

5. Make a decision: Weigh the pros and cons of each project and make a decision based on what aligns best with your interests and goals.

How do I come up with a unique project idea?

1. Look for gaps in current research: Read scientific literature and identify areas that have not been extensively studied or have potential for further exploration.

2. Consider interdisciplinary approaches: Think about how you can combine different fields of science to create a unique project idea.

3. Brainstorm with others: Collaborate with other scientists or discuss your ideas with friends and family to get different perspectives and generate new ideas.

4. Explore real-world problems: Consider real-world issues and think about how science can be used to address them.

5. Be creative: Don't be afraid to think outside the box and come up with unconventional ideas.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a project?

1. Personal interests and strengths: Choose a project that aligns with your interests and utilizes your skills.

2. Relevance: Consider if the project is relevant to current scientific knowledge and if it has the potential to contribute to new discoveries.

3. Feasibility: Determine if you have the necessary resources, time, and expertise to carry out the project successfully.

4. Impact: Think about the potential impact of your project on the scientific community and society as a whole.

5. Ethical considerations: Consider any ethical implications of your project and ensure that it follows ethical guidelines.

How can I ensure the success of my chosen project?

1. Plan and organize: Create a detailed plan for your project and make sure to organize your time and resources effectively.

2. Seek guidance: Consult with other scientists, mentors, or experts in your field to get feedback and advice on your project.

3. Keep track of progress: Regularly monitor and document your progress to ensure you are staying on track and meeting your goals.

4. Be open to adjustments: Be flexible and open to making adjustments to your project if needed.

5. Stay motivated and persistent: Keep a positive attitude and stay motivated throughout your project, even if you encounter challenges.

What are some potential resources for conducting my project?

1. Laboratory facilities: If your project involves experiments, you may need access to a laboratory and its equipment.

2. Scientific literature: Use online databases, libraries, and other resources to gather information and background on your project topic.

3. Funding: Depending on the scope of your project, you may need to secure funding from grants, organizations, or sponsors.

4. Collaborators: Consider collaborating with other scientists or experts in your field to share resources and knowledge.

5. Technology: Utilize technology such as computer software and tools to aid in data collection and analysis for your project.