Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help understanding pivots

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    Course: MIT OCW 18.06 Intro to Linear Algebra by Strang 4th edt.

Question: if a3,3 is 7, and the third pivot is 5, if we change a3,3 to be 11, then the third pivot becomes _________. If you change the a3,3 to ________ then there is no third pivot.

At first I thought a3,3 had to be the actual third pivot (yes?no?). Definitions for what a pivot is are muddled throughout the resources I've used, but the most solid definition I've found is from the course text itself and it says (to paraphrase):

1 >> The pivots are on the diagonal of the upper triangular matrix after elimination is complete whereby back substitution may begin

To not paraphrase it also says

2 >> "pivot = 1st nonzero in the row that does the elimination"

From the first definition, shouldn't a3,3 be the pivot?

If not, then perhaps there is a 5 leading the third row...ok. But then if we changed the 7 to an 11, that would be by multiplying all the elements of the row by a constant multiple, and the answer in the solutions guide says that changing a3,3 from 7 to 11 changes the pivot from 5 to 9...

I am clearly lacking some fundamental understanding in what a pivot is. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

It looks like when they say change ##a_{3,3}## from 7 to 11, they are not implying a multiplication, but a shift. (addition).
    I am not fully versed on the notation and definitions you are using, but based on the example you gave, it looks like they are calling for addition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook