Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help understanding the edge of the universe

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    HI , i am a student currently in class 10th , and i aspire to become a theoretical physicist . I particularly want to know about the edge of the universe when i become one . Any way , i have searched the net for many years of posts related to these topics , but most of that stuff is above me . Can someone please link me some good books or webpages which deal with these topics , but are devoid of complicating maths ? .. please

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Re: i need help

Well you certainly don't need to be a theoretical physicist to understand about the edges of the universe -- specifically, there are none. A great place to start is the wikipedia article here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_Universe
    Which contains no maths! If you understand this, it should be obvious why there can be no edges.

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
  5. Mar 26, 2012 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there were an edge of the universe, we would have a front row seat. We reside at the most ancient point in the observable universe and it looks exactly the same in every direction - younger.

6. Mar 26, 2012 #5
  7. Mar 26, 2012 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook