I understanding the meaning of Bloch waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Bloch theorem and its application to electron wave functions in a periodic potential. The notation used indicates a superposition state of two states, one where the electron didn't scatter and one where it did scatter. The wave function can be written as a sum of different frequencies and energies that belong to the same irreducible representation of the translation symmetry. However, at certain points, mixing of wave functions can occur, leading to a splitting and causing a gap in energy levels. This is relevant in understanding semiconductors and digital sampling.
raeed
Before reading Bloch theorem i read something to get a feeling to what happens to the energy of electron in a periodic potential, in short what i read said:
Assuming we have a weak periodic potential from -π/a to π/a for example cos(2πx/a), we can write the electron wave function as: α|k>+β|k'>.
my first question is: does this notation mean that the electron is in superposition state of two states, first one being the electron didn't scatter and the second being the electron did scatter?
After that i went on to read Bloch theorem, he stated that the waving function can be written as:
Σukeikr. and using Fourier series
Σαk-Gei(k-G)r.
my second question is: correct if I'm wrong but since there is no difference between k and k-G in term of energy does that mean that they are the same state? what does the wave function exactly tell us about the electron? for example what does
αk-G1ei(k-G1)rk-G2ei(k-G2)r mean?
sorry for the long question I'm just have a hard time trying to connect the dots

Physics news on Phys.org
''Since there is no difference between k and k-G in term of energy does that mean that they are the same state?''

In general a point k and the point k-G (or k+G or k+2G etc.) represent different wave functions with different frequencies and different energies, but they all belong to the same irreducible representation of the translation symmetry. They have the same symmetry behavior. This means that you can mix them, like you do with wave functions in chemical bonding. As the energies at k and k+G are generally very different this does not matter much except at the edges of a Brillouin zone. The wave function at k=1/2 and k=1/2-1 = -1/2 have the same energy and so mixing will split them up and cause a gap (like the two 1s states of two adjacent H atoms leading to a bonding and an antibonding sigma orbital). This splitting is what causes semiconductors to have an energy gap.

Another way of saying this is to say that the functions at k, k-G (or k+G or k+2G) are aliases of each other. This is particularly important for digital sampling.

What are Bloch waves?

Bloch waves are a type of wave that describes the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. They are named after Swiss physicist Felix Bloch, who first described this phenomenon in 1928.

How are Bloch waves related to the properties of crystals?

Bloch waves are directly related to the periodicity of a crystal's atomic structure. They arise from the interaction between the periodic potential of the crystal and the motion of electrons within the crystal.

What is the importance of understanding Bloch waves?

Understanding Bloch waves is crucial for understanding the electronic properties of crystals. Bloch waves play a vital role in determining the electrical, optical, and thermal properties of materials, and their study is essential for the development of new technologies.

How are Bloch waves different from other types of waves?

Bloch waves are different from other types of waves in that they are not confined to a specific region but instead extend through the entire crystal. They also exhibit a unique periodicity and have a band-like structure that characterizes their behavior.

What are some applications of Bloch waves?

Bloch waves have many practical applications, including the development of semiconductor devices, such as transistors and diodes. They also play a crucial role in the creation of advanced materials, such as photonic crystals and superconductors.