1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help very confused and frustrated

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=543646#post543646

I asked this question earlier and I didn't get any significant help, atleast beyond what I already knew. I do not know how to calculate this, nor do my classmates who I have seen also posed this question to the forum. Please help!! I know the concept, but I can not calculate it. I have worked on it for a few days now, and it is due in about an hour.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are given the coefficient of linear expansion of iron so you can calculate how much the linear dimensions of the ring have increased and so the volume at each temperature. From that you can calculate the inside diameter of the iron ring (which is now smaller!). You are given the coefficient of linear expansion of bronze so you can calcuate how much the linear dimension (in particular, the diameter) of the brass plug increases with each degree and so what the diameter is at any temperature. Now find the temperature at which those two diameters are the same.

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Diameter of brass plug as a function of the temperature change is

[tex] D_b = D_{b0}(1+10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

Diameter of iron ring as a function of the temperature change is

[tex] D_i = D_{i0}(1+12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

Set the two diameters equal and solve for the temperature change. Add the change to the starting temperature.

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The diameter of the inside of the ring actually gets larger. If it were a disk, all the linear dimensions would increase. The diameter of the "missing" part of the disk that makes it a ring will expand in proportion to the outer diameter.

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5
    Thank you but...

Hahaha... I'm sorry, but now I'm just really confused. I tried making the two equations equal, but I got a very very small number. Can someone please clarify for me? I appreciate all your help so far.

7. Apr 25, 2005 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] D_b = 8.755cm(1+10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] D_i = 8.745cm(1+12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] 8.755cm(1+10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T) = 8.745cm(1+12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] 8.755cm-8.745cm = 8.745cm(12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T) - 8.755cm(10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] (8.755cm-8.745cm)*10^6C^o = (8.745cm*12 - 8.755cm*10){\Delta}T[/tex]

Can you finish this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?