I with a basic physics problem 2

In summary: So xf - xi = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/(2 a) Do this for both parts and add them together to get the total distance traveled. Once you have the total distance, divide it by the total time (9 seconds) to get the average speed. In summary, to find the average speed of a particle decelerating uniformly and then accelerating uniformly, you need to use the equations vavg = (x - xo)/t and xf - xi = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/(2 a) to find the total distance traveled and then divide it by the total time.
Haniszmi

Homework Statement

A particle that is moving along a straight line decelerates uniformly from 0.4 m/s to 0.2 m/s in 5 seconds and then has a constant acceleration of 0.2 m/s^2 during the next 4 seconds. What is the average speed over the whole time interval?

Homework Equations

vavg = (x - xo)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I first broke up the problem into two parts, first part being..."A particle that is moving along a straight line decelerates uniformly from 0.4 m/s to 0.2 m/s in 5 seconds"...I found the deceleration to be -.04m/s^2 by simple plugging into the formula. For the second part..."then has a constant acceleration of 0.2 m/s^2 during the next 4 seconds. What is the average speed over the whole time interval?" Since the acceleration was given to me in that statement I just added the deceleration and acceleration together and divided by two to get the average acceleration. DID I DO THIS CORRECTLY? MY ANSWER WAS .08m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct relevant equation -
vavg = (x - xo)/t

but in order to find the average speed, you need to find the distance traveled (which you can get from the accelerations and times given), and then divide the distance by the total time.

You can tell your original answer is wrong by checking the units of it - speed is m/s, acceleration is m/s^2 which are the units that adding the accelerations together would give you.

Ok I see where I had made my mistake, but now I am confused with how to find the distance traveled. How do you find the distance traveled if there are 2 different velocities?

Haniszmi said:
Ok I see where I had made my mistake, but now I am confused with how to find the distance traveled. How do you find the distance traveled if there are 2 different velocities?

In the deceleration phase you can determine that from the relation that

Vf - Vi = a*t

Then with that acceleration number you can figure distance with

Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2 a (xf-xi)

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

2. How do I calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a represents acceleration, vf represents final velocity, vi represents initial velocity, and t represents time.

3. What is the equation for Newton's second law of motion?

The equation for Newton's second law of motion is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

4. How do I convert units in a physics problem?

To convert units in a physics problem, use conversion factors. For example, to convert meters to centimeters, multiply the given value by 100.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.