1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with a basic physics problem! 2

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle that is moving along a straight line decelerates uniformly from 0.4 m/s to 0.2 m/s in 5 seconds and then has a constant acceleration of 0.2 m/s^2 during the next 4 seconds. What is the average speed over the whole time interval?

2. Relevant equations
    vavg = (x - xo)/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first broke up the problem into two parts, first part being..."A particle that is moving along a straight line decelerates uniformly from 0.4 m/s to 0.2 m/s in 5 seconds"....I found the deceleration to be -.04m/s^2 by simple plugging into the formula. For the second part..."then has a constant acceleration of 0.2 m/s^2 during the next 4 seconds. What is the average speed over the whole time interval?" Since the acceleration was given to me in that statement I just added the deceleration and acceleration together and divided by two to get the average acceleration. DID I DO THIS CORRECTLY? MY ANSWER WAS .08m/s^2

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2
    You have the correct relevant equation -
    vavg = (x - xo)/t

but in order to find the average speed, you need to find the distance traveled (which you can get from the accelerations and times given), and then divide the distance by the total time.

You can tell your original answer is wrong by checking the units of it - speed is m/s, acceleration is m/s^2 which are the units that adding the accelerations together would give you.

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    Ok I see where I had made my mistake, but now I am confused with how to find the distance traveled. How do you find the distance traveled if there are 2 different velocities?

5. Sep 4, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

In the deceleration phase you can determine that from the relation that

Vf - Vi = a*t

Then with that acceleration number you can figure distance with

Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2 a (xf-xi)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?