1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with a Fluid Mechanics problem

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    the probem is from the book:
    Fundamental mechanics of fluids by I.G. Currie
    is from the chapter 4 ( 2 dimentianal potential flows )
    is the problem 4.4:

. Consider a source of strength m located at z = −b , a source of strength m
    located at z=- a^2 / b , a sink of strength m located at z =a^2 /L, and a sink of
    strength m located at z = L. Write down the complex potential for this system,
    and add a constant − m/(2π) logb. Let b → ∞ , and show that the result
    represents the complex potential for a circular cylinder of radius a with a sink
    of strength m located a distance I to the right of the axis of the cylinder. This
    may be done by showing that the circle of radius a is a streamline.
    Use the Blasius integral theorem for a contour of integration which includes the
    cylinder but excludes the sink, and hence show that the force acting on the
    cylinder is

X=(ρm^2 a^2 )/( 2πL)(L^2-a^2)

So i have already solved the problems 4.1 through 4.3 and i tried the same trick of aproximating ln(1/1-x) and ln(1+x), that i applyied in the first problems but i cant get to a result that makes the stream line zero
    ( the imaginary part of the complex potential ), and i think thats why i always get that the residues of the complex integral force sum up to zero . i someone has some advice about this problem i would appreciate it a lot .

thanks

benjamin

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted