I with a problem dealing with static friction

In summary, we are given a small metal cylinder of mass 0.20 kg on a rotating turntable with a coefficient of static friction of 0.800. The cylinder is located at a distance of 0.15m from the center of the turntable. To find the maximum speed the cylinder can have without skidding, we can use Newton's 2nd law and the formula for maximum static friction, which is directed towards the center of the circle. By solving for the maximum velocity, we can see that the answer is 1.1 m/s. It is important to note that this is the maximum speed and that any higher speed would result in the object skidding off the turntable.
steph3824

Homework Statement

A small metal cylinder of mass m=0.20 kg sits on a rotating turntable. The coefficient of static friction between the metal cylinder and the turntable is us=.800. The cylinder is located 0.15m from the center of the turntable. Find the maximum speed that the cylinder can have without skidding.

Homework Equations

Not sure what equations will be needed

The Attempt at a Solution

Have no idea how to find the solution! This is on a practice test that I am working on for an upcoming physics test, but I have never seen a problem like this before. I would really appreciate a good explanation as to how to do this problem so that I will understand how to do it for the test! Thank you for all of your help!

PS: The answer to this problem is 1.1 m/s. I just need to understand how to get to this answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by analyzing the forces that act on the cylinder and the kind of motion it executes as the turntable rotates. What does Newton's 2nd law tell you? Hint: The maximum value of static friction is given by what formula?

There is an equation that tells you the maximum static friction that the object can experience. This friction, becaues it is rotating, heads towards the center of the circle. If you know the maximum static friction and the equation that deals with forces acting towards the center of the circle, you can solve for maximum velocity.

Note that I keep on saying maximum everything. The object can be going at a slower speed and just have weaker force towards the center. If you go higher then the maximum, however, the friction force won't be able to handle to motion, and the object will shoot out tangent to circle it traces in its motion.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other. It is a type of friction that occurs when there is no relative motion between the surfaces.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the surfaces. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the coefficient of static friction, which is a property of the materials in contact.

4. How can I calculate the force of static friction?

The force of static friction can be calculated using the equation Fs ≤ μsN, where Fs is the maximum force of static friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force between the surfaces.

5. How can I reduce static friction?

Static friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces to reduce friction. Additionally, increasing the surface area of contact or using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also help reduce static friction.