I with a problem dealing with two dimensional projectile motion.

In summary: Pythagoras).In summary, the equations needed to solve this problem are x = v_{0x}t, y = v_{0y}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2, t = x/v_{0x}, t = \sqrt{-2y/g}, v_{x} = v_{0x}, v_{y} = -gt + v_{0y}, and v = \sqrt{v_{y}^2 + v_{x}^2}. The initial vertical speed v_{0y} can be found by solving equation (6) for v_{0y} when x = 3.4 and y = 0. To find the direction of the
BrianPagliaci

Homework Statement

In Denver, children bring their old jack-o-lanterns to the top of a tower and compete for accuracy in hitting a target on the ground. Suppose that the tower height is h = 10.80 m, and that the bulls-eye's horizontal distance is d = 3.4 m from the launch point. (Neglect air resistance.)

If a jack-o-lantern is given an initial horizontal speed of 3.3 m/s, what are the direction and magnitude of its velocity at the following moments in time? (Let the +x axis point to the right.)

(a) 0.75 s after launch

_____________.° (below the +x-axis)

____________ m/s

(b) just before it lands
_______________ ° (below the +x axis)
______________ m/s

Homework Equations

I am not entirely sure but I believe the relevant equations are...
Vot + .5gt^2
d = 3.4m
h= 10.80m
It would be great if someone could give me the required equations and method to solving this kind of problem. Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused how to proceed or all that is required in the solution of this problem.
What I have done so far is substituted into the Vot + .5gt^2 to find vertical and horizontal (x and y) distances. I did this by using the equation given .75 seconds accounting for the initial velocity on the horizontal (3.3 m/s). I am unsure how to proceed though or if i am even doing this right. Very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you need are:

(1) [tex]x = v_{0x}t[/tex] and

(2) [tex]y = v_{0y} - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

In terms of t, (1) can be written:

(3) [tex]t = x/v_{0x}[/tex]

If the initial motion is only horizontal, v0y=0, so (2) can be written in terms of time, t:

(4) [tex]t = \sqrt{-2y/g}[/tex]

AM

First, start by drawing a picture of the scenario. The projectile is at a height h above the origin, has initial velocity vector [tex]v_{0x}[/tex] in the x-direction, and weight vector mg in the -y-direction. Also, the target is distance d along the x-axis. Start by breaking any forces on the projectile into x and y components. The only force acting on the projectile is the gravitational force.

x component
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]F_{x}[/tex] = 0 = m[tex]a_{x}[/tex]

[tex]a_{x}[/tex] = 0 (1)

[tex]v_{x}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]a_{x}[/tex]dt = [tex]v_{0x}[/tex] (2)

x = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]v_{x}[/tex]dt = [tex]v_{0x}[/tex]t + [tex]x_{0}[/tex] (3) (where [tex]x_{0}[/tex] = 0)

y component
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]F_{y}[/tex] = -mg = m[tex]a_{y}[/tex]

[tex]a_{y}[/tex] = -g (4)

[tex]v_{y}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]a_{y}[/tex]dt = -gt + [tex]v_{0y}[/tex] (5)

y = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]v_{y}[/tex]dt = -(1/2)[tex]gt^{2}[/tex] + [tex]v_{0y}[/tex]t + [tex]y_{0}[/tex] (6) (where y[tex]_{0}[/tex] = h)

We need to find the initial vertical speed [tex]v_{0y}[/tex] required to hit the target. We know that when the projectile hits the target, x = 3.4 m and y = 0 m. We can start with equation (3) to find the time of impact when x = 3.4 (t = [tex]\frac{d}{v_{0x}}[/tex]). At t = [tex]\frac{d}{v_{0x}}[/tex], y = 0, so we can solve equation (6) for the initial vertical speed [tex]v_{0y}[/tex]. We can now use equations (2) and (5) to find the x and y components of velocities at any time. The angle of the velocity vector will be negative wrt the +x-axis (since the projectile is falling) and is given by [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]tan^{-1}([/tex][tex]\frac{v_{y}}{v_{x}}[/tex]). You can see this by drawing the x and y components of velocity on the diagram, [tex]tan \theta = \frac{v_{y}}{v_{x}}[/tex]. The magnitude of the velocity vector will be the vector sum of the x and y components v = [tex]\sqrt{v_{y}^2 + v_{x}^2}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is two dimensional projectile motion?

Two dimensional projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in two dimensions, with both horizontal and vertical components. This type of motion occurs when an object is launched or thrown into the air, and it follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How is two dimensional projectile motion different from one dimensional projectile motion?

In one dimensional projectile motion, an object moves only in one direction, usually along a straight line. In two dimensional projectile motion, an object moves in two directions, both horizontally and vertically, and its path is usually curved.

3. What factors affect two dimensional projectile motion?

The factors that affect two dimensional projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the motion of the object.

4. How do you calculate the trajectory of a two dimensional projectile?

To calculate the trajectory of a two dimensional projectile, you can use the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. You can also use online calculators or simulation software to visualize the trajectory.

5. What are some real-life examples of two dimensional projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of two dimensional projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a projectile from a cannon, or a roller coaster ride. In all of these cases, the object follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.