1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with a problem dealing with two dimensional projectile motion.

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Denver, children bring their old jack-o-lanterns to the top of a tower and compete for accuracy in hitting a target on the ground. Suppose that the tower height is h = 10.80 m, and that the bulls-eye's horizontal distance is d = 3.4 m from the launch point. (Neglect air resistance.)

If a jack-o-lantern is given an initial horizontal speed of 3.3 m/s, what are the direction and magnitude of its velocity at the following moments in time? (Let the +x axis point to the right.)

(a) 0.75 s after launch

_____________.° (below the +x-axis)

____________ m/s

(b) just before it lands
    _______________ ° (below the +x axis)
    ______________ m/s

2. Relevant equations
    I am not entirely sure but I believe the relevant equations are....
    Vot + .5gt^2
    d = 3.4m
    h= 10.80m
    It would be great if someone could give me the required equations and method to solving this kind of problem. Thanks.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused how to proceed or all that is required in the solution of this problem.
    What I have done so far is substituted into the Vot + .5gt^2 to find vertical and horizontal (x and y) distances. I did this by using the equation given .75 seconds accounting for the initial velocity on the horizontal (3.3 m/s). I am unsure how to proceed though or if i am even doing this right. Very confused.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equations you need are:

(1) [tex]x = v_{0x}t[/tex] and

(2) [tex]y = v_{0y} - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

In terms of t, (1) can be written:

(3) [tex]t = x/v_{0x}[/tex]

If the initial motion is only horizontal, v0y=0, so (2) can be written in terms of time, t:

(4) [tex]t = \sqrt{-2y/g}[/tex]

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    First, start by drawing a picture of the scenario. The projectile is at a height h above the origin, has initial velocity vector [tex]v_{0x}[/tex] in the x-direction, and weight vector mg in the -y-direction. Also, the target is distance d along the x-axis. Start by breaking any forces on the projectile into x and y components. The only force acting on the projectile is the gravitational force.

x component
    [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]F_{x}[/tex] = 0 = m[tex]a_{x}[/tex]

[tex]a_{x}[/tex] = 0 (1)

[tex]v_{x}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]a_{x}[/tex]dt = [tex]v_{0x}[/tex] (2)

x = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]v_{x}[/tex]dt = [tex]v_{0x}[/tex]t + [tex]x_{0}[/tex] (3) (where [tex]x_{0}[/tex] = 0)

y component
    [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]F_{y}[/tex] = -mg = m[tex]a_{y}[/tex]

[tex]a_{y}[/tex] = -g (4)

[tex]v_{y}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]a_{y}[/tex]dt = -gt + [tex]v_{0y}[/tex] (5)

y = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]v_{y}[/tex]dt = -(1/2)[tex]gt^{2}[/tex] + [tex]v_{0y}[/tex]t + [tex]y_{0}[/tex] (6) (where y[tex]_{0}[/tex] = h)

We need to find the initial vertical speed [tex]v_{0y}[/tex] required to hit the target. We know that when the projectile hits the target, x = 3.4 m and y = 0 m. We can start with equation (3) to find the time of impact when x = 3.4 (t = [tex]\frac{d}{v_{0x}}[/tex]). At t = [tex]\frac{d}{v_{0x}}[/tex], y = 0, so we can solve equation (6) for the initial vertical speed [tex]v_{0y}[/tex]. We can now use equations (2) and (5) to find the x and y components of velocities at any time. The angle of the velocity vector will be negative wrt the +x-axis (since the projectile is falling) and is given by [tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]tan^{-1}([/tex][tex]\frac{v_{y}}{v_{x}}[/tex]). You can see this by drawing the x and y components of velocity on the diagram, [tex]tan \theta = \frac{v_{y}}{v_{x}}[/tex]. The magnitude of the velocity vector will be the vector sum of the x and y components v = [tex]\sqrt{v_{y}^2 + v_{x}^2}[/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook