1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with a problem please (:

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    A skier is accelerating down a 30.0° hill at a = 2.30 m/s2 (Fig. 3-36).

How long will it take her to reach the bottom of the hill, assuming she starts from rest and accelerates uniformly, if the elevation change is 320 m?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should post these questions in the homework forum, and you have to at least attempt an answer.
    But to get you started,

Split the motion into vertical and horizontal components (draw a diagram)
    What do you know about motion of an object under gravity?

ps. giving it a title that says something about the question will help somebody decide to answer it.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    sorry, im knew at this. ive already drawn the diagram, but my teacher is not very good at this and kind of just gives us assignments and tells us to teach ourselves with notes that arent very helpful. so i dont really know to much about working this type of problem

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem ;-)

There are 3 equations for calcualting speed, distance, accelearation - depending which you know and which you want to find. They are detailed here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015

You are given the accelearation along the hill so that's easy.
    All you need to find is the total distance the skier goes, and you can find that from the angle and the vertical change in height you are given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?