1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with a problems

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    Well I've been working on these last two problems and I just can't figure them out. Can someone just point me in the correct direction?

1.) A golf ball is struck with a five iron on level ground. It lands 105.0m away 3.80 s later. What is the magnitude and the direction of the initial velocity?(Neglect air resistance.)

This is what I have for this problem: V=105/3.8 = 27.63m/s
    Then I used y = Vyot - (1/2)g t^2 the answer from this was 70.76 for which I then used 70.76 sin 27.63 to get an angle.

thanks in advance for the help

kwesi

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Check your working again for the velocity of 70.67.

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3
    Careful there, that's just the (constant) speed in the horizontal direction. If you want to use the formula [tex]y(t) = V_{y}(0)\cdot t - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2}[/tex], try to fill in the values for the moment the ball touches down again. You should end up with [tex]V_{y}(0)[/tex]. Then you'll have both components of the initial velocity vector, and from there it's just a small step to complete the answer.

5. Sep 14, 2005 #4
    thanks for the info I was able to figure it out with your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?