I with a Schrodinger's cat Science fair experiment?

In summary: Average:In summary, the conversation discussed the creation of a feasible experiment for a Schrodinger's cat science fair project that does not involve harming animals. The experiment will investigate the effects of quantum fluctuations on the probability of an event occurring in a closed system. The materials needed include a coin, a box, and a stopwatch. The experiment will involve observing the coin inside the box for one minute and recording the number of times it appears to change state. The data will be recorded in a data table and used to support the hypothesis.
crazyshoes
I am in my freshman year, and I am doing a Schrodinger's cat science fair experiment for AP physics. I know that I might use flipping a coin inside a box, or exploding a raw egg in a microwave instead of killing cats. Anyhow, I was wondering if someone could assist in making this an experiment with a problem, hypothesis, data table, etc. I need a title as well, (e.g: The Effect of xyz on abc). I'm not asking you to do it for me, I'm merely asking you to convert my idea into a feasible experiment that allows me to put it on a poster and bring it to ISEF. (Normal science fair procedures and requirements will be used.) Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Title: Investigating the Effects of Quantum Fluctuations on ProbabilityProblem: How do quantum fluctuations in a closed system affect the probability of an event occurring?Hypothesis: We hypothesize that quantum fluctuations can significantly increase the probability of an event occurring in a closed system.Materials: -Coin-Box-StopwatchExperimental Procedure:1. Place the coin inside the box and close the lid.2. Start the stopwatch and observe the box for one minute.3. Record the number of times the coin appears to change state (ie, heads to tails or vice versa).4. Repeat steps 1-3 five times.Data Table:Trial | # of Fluctuations1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

1. What is the Schrodinger's cat experiment?

The Schrodinger's cat experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics, proposed by physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1935. It involves a cat in a sealed box with a radioactive substance, a Geiger counter, and a small amount of poison. The experiment is used to illustrate the concept of superposition, where the cat can exist in both alive and dead states at the same time until the box is opened and observed.

2. How does the Schrodinger's cat experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger's cat experiment is commonly used to explain the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, particles at the atomic and subatomic level can exist in multiple states at the same time until they are observed or measured. This concept is known as superposition, and the Schrodinger's cat experiment is a way to visualize and understand it.

3. What is the purpose of the Schrodinger's cat experiment in a science fair?

The purpose of the Schrodinger's cat experiment in a science fair is to demonstrate the principles of quantum mechanics and the concept of superposition in a hands-on and visual way. It can also be used to explore the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics and the role of observation in determining reality.

4. What materials are needed to conduct a Schrodinger's cat experiment?

To conduct a Schrodinger's cat experiment, you will need a sealed box, a radioactive substance, a Geiger counter, a small amount of poison, and a toy cat or any other object that can represent the cat. You will also need basic safety equipment such as gloves and goggles when handling the radioactive material.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with conducting a Schrodinger's cat experiment?

Since the Schrodinger's cat experiment involves the possibility of a living creature being in a state of both life and death, there are ethical concerns surrounding it. Therefore, it is important to only use a toy or inanimate object to represent the cat and to ensure that no actual harm is caused to any living being in the process of conducting the experiment.