1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with a simplification

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to follow this work, and I can't figure out how they are simplifying the following expression.

[tex] \frac{r}{r_1} = \left( 1 - \frac{d}{r} \cos \theta + \left( \frac{d}{2r} \right)^2 \right)^{-1/2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{r}{r_1} \approxeq 1 - \frac{1}{2}\left( -\frac{d}{r} \cos \theta + \frac{d^2}{4r^2} \right) + \frac{3/4}{2} \left(-\frac{d}{r} \cos \theta + \frac{d^2}{4r^2} \right)^2 [/tex]

This is with the assumption [itex] r \gg d [/itex].

Are they doing a taylor expansion?

Another related question.
    The book performs a binomial expansion from,
    [tex] \left( R^2 - \vec R \cdot \vec d + \frac{d^2}{4} \right)^{-3/2} \approxeq R^{-3}\left(1-\frac{\vec R \cdot \vec d}{R^2} \right) [/tex]

So a binomial expansion needs to be of the form,
    [tex] (X+Y)^n [/tex] right?

So would X just be [itex] R^2 [/itex] and Y would be the scalar [itex] -\vec R \cdot \vec d + \frac{d^2}{/4} [/itex] ?

So does X and Y each have to be a function of one variable respectively? Or can they be any algebraic term? for example, could
    [tex] X = R^2 \cos \theta [/tex]
    [tex] Y = \sin (\phi+R) [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2
    I figured it out.

It's a binomial series where:
    [tex] (X+Y)^n = \ldots [/tex]
    [tex] X = 1 [/tex]
    [tex] Y = \frac{d}{r} \left(-\cos \theta + \frac{4}{dr} \right) [/tex]

Follow up question. Why use the binomial expansion? Why not perform a taylor expansion?

4. Sep 13, 2006 #3

J77

Taylor series is just a special case of binomial where you have a "one plus" with a positive exponent.

(What you have can be called a negative binomial series.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?