I with a static fluids question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a floating block of wood and finding the mass of a lead block that is added to it. Archimedes' Principle is used to calculate the weight of the water displaced by the block, and after some calculation errors, the final answer is determined to be 1.01 kg for the mass of the lead block.
islanderfan
[SOLVED] i need help with a static fluids question

Homework Statement

A block of wood of 1.8 kg mass floats on water with 64% of its volume submerged. A lead block is placed on the wood and the wood is then fully submerged. Find the mass of the lead block.

Homework Equations

Fb = pvg

The Attempt at a Solution

(1000)(.64v) = Pblock (.36v)

Pblock = 1777.78

p = m/v...m/p = v

1.8/1777.78 = .001 m^3 = total volume

i have no clue what to do next, or even if what i have done so far is correct. please anyone who can help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Archimedes' Principle.

Your eqn under attempt is wrong.

Weight of block = Fb_up = wt of water displaced = (64/100)*vol of block*density of water
=> 1.8*9.8 = 1000*0.64*V. You get V

Applying the same idea, can you do the 2nd part. Remember, the whole block plus the lead is being supported by the wt of the water displaced by block alone.

Shooting star said:
Use Archimedes' Principle.

Your eqn under attempt is wrong.

Weight of block = Fb_up = wt of water displaced = (64/100)*vol of block*density of water
=> 1.8*9.8 = 1000*0.64*V. You get V

Applying the same idea, can you do the 2nd part. Remember, the whole block plus the lead is being supported by the wt of the water displaced by block alone.

ok i did what you said. i obtained a v of .02756... and plugged that into Fb = 1000*(.02756...)*9.8, which gave me a Fb of 270.1125. I set this equal to mg and divided by 9.8 to get a final answer of 27.56. I then subtracted the 1.8 kg of wood and for some reason I'm wrong. Can you find my error? thanks soo much

I'm getting the mass of lead block as 1.01 kg.

I'm a bit tired of calculating, so if that's the correct answer, then you check your calc. Otherwise, we'll have to identify the source of error.

Last edited:
Shooting star said:
I'm getting the mass of lead block as 1.01 kg.

I'm a bit tired of calculating, so if that's the correct answer, then you check your calc. Otherwise, we'll have to identify the source of error.

haha I've learned to never blame the calculator, blame the user ;]. it was my own careless arithmetic error that caused me to get the wrong answer. when i got down to 27.5625 i subtracted 1.8 kg instead of subtracting (1.8*9.8)N and so i got an answer that was too large.

thanks SO much for the help, i really appreciate it!

1. What is static fluids?

Static fluids is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the behavior of fluids at rest, or in a state of equilibrium. It involves the study of how fluids respond to external forces and how they exert pressure on surfaces.

2. How is static fluids different from dynamic fluids?

While static fluids deal with fluids at rest, dynamic fluids deal with fluids in motion. Static fluids are concerned with pressure distribution, while dynamic fluids focus on the forces that cause fluids to move.

3. What are some common applications of static fluids?

Static fluids have many practical applications in engineering and everyday life. Some examples include designing hydraulic systems, calculating buoyancy forces in ships and submarines, and determining the stability of structures such as dams and bridges.

4. What is Pascal's law and how does it relate to static fluids?

Pascal's law states that the pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted uniformly in all directions. This law is important in understanding how fluids behave in closed containers, and it is the basis for many hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

5. How can the properties of static fluids be used to measure the density of a substance?

The density of a substance can be determined by using a hydrometer, which measures the buoyancy force of a liquid. By comparing the buoyancy force of the substance with the buoyancy force of a known liquid, the density of the substance can be calculated using the principles of static fluids.