I with an Excell formula I cannot figure out.

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a spreadsheet for a chef and the difficulty in creating a formula for cell E2. The desired formula is IF(D2<4000,D2*0.01,D2*0.02).
tkav1980
Im trying to set up a spread sheet for my chef but I am stuck.

Cell B2 = invoice total
Cell C2 = chemical total
Cell D2 = Sum(B2-C2)
Cell E2 needs to be...if cell d2 < 4000 then multiply by 1%, if 4000 or greater multiply by 2%.

Im very stuck on E2 and can't figure out how to make a formula work for this. IF anyone could help Id greatly appreciate it. I am not very good with excell, I can set up very basic formulas but this one has me stuck. Thank you in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
=IF(D2<4000,D2*0.01,D2*0.02)

=IF ( D2<4000 , D2*0.01 , D2*0.02 ) <-- with spaces added for readability

BTW, the Excel interface generated this for me; I just clicked on the Formulas page, clicked on Logical to indicate that I wanted logic functions such as "IF", and a popup window asked me for the arguments. I supplied the arguments, and it generated the text that got written into the cell.

Wow, Thanks! I was looking around in the formulas to see if I could find something. Thanks for the help!

1. What is an Excel formula?

An Excel formula is a set of instructions that perform calculations or manipulate data in a spreadsheet. It can be used to perform simple calculations, such as addition or multiplication, or more complex operations, such as statistical analysis or data manipulation.

2. How do I create an Excel formula?

To create an Excel formula, you need to start with an equals sign (=) followed by the formula or function that you want to use. For example, to add two numbers, you can use the formula =A1+B1, where A1 and B1 are the cells containing the numbers you want to add.

3. Why is my Excel formula not working?

There are several reasons why an Excel formula may not be working. It could be due to incorrect syntax, missing or incorrect cell references, or using the wrong function. You can troubleshoot the issue by checking your formula and cell references, and using the appropriate functions for your desired calculation.

4. How do I fix an Excel formula error?

To fix an Excel formula error, you first need to identify the type of error. Some common errors include #VALUE, #DIV/0!, and #REF!. These errors usually occur when there is a problem with the formula itself, such as incorrect syntax or missing data. You can fix the error by correcting the formula or adding the missing data.

5. Can I use Excel formulas to analyze data?

Yes, Excel formulas can be used to analyze data and perform various calculations. For example, you can use the SUM and AVERAGE functions to calculate the total and average of a set of numbers, or use the IF function to perform conditional calculations based on specific criteria.