Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with an experiament

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    I need help with an experiament......

Ok so I need help with a little project that I have been trying to figure out for a while now. I am attempting to create an artificial photosynthesis/fuel refinery system that uses solar energy and CO2 from the atmosphere to create a small amount of methanol. (This is only the beginning of an idea) First have a solar panel charging a car battery then the + and - wires from the battery are fed into a container of water (electrolysis) and have the container sealed so the gases (Hydrogen and Oxygen) do not mix and go out different tubes. Have the Hydrogen run through a tube and into a holding chamber and have the oxygen run back out into the atmosphere. Meanwhile have a Carbon Dioxide collector (made of Sodium Hydroxide covered vanes) collect CO2 and have the Carbon Dioxide run into the same holding chamber as the Hydrogen. and that is where I am stuck

The problems that i face are 1. Will this idea even work? 2. How do i get the Hydrogen and the Carbon Dioxide to bond to make Methanol? and 3. Would the system be stable enough to be used in an automobile application? so a vehicle could potentially create its own fuel.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas I would be glad to accept them.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: I need help with an experiament......

It won't work for many reasons. First of all - as far as I know there is no reasonably efficient method of making ethanol from hydrogen and carbon dioxide. Hydrogen and carbon monoxide may work, but it requires high temperatures and pressures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook