I with an old VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer

In summary, the computer is communicating with the mass spec, but the data acquisition program isn't connecting to it. However, the mass spec is working just fine.
KMikk
I work at a university and we recently had an XPS donated with a mass spec attachment. It is an older instrument that we would love to get working due to the high resolution detector and in situ reduction chamber. We are having issues getting the mass spec to communicate with the gassworks program. There are no installation discs, but there is a terminal program where I can see that it is communicating with the computer, just not the data acquisition program. I believe the issue to be in one of the configuration files, but it is hard to know which one. If anyone knows of anybody using one of these that may be able to help I would appreciate it. The computer is running Win 200 by the way.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Good luck to you. I have an ancient AAS spectrometer with Win95 I'm trying to get up and running. If it came with original discs, you may be able to track down on ebay/similar sites if you have the model and serial no. I found a few vintage/old lab equipment sites when looking for parts/manuals for a Leco and furnace, both from the 60s. Also contacting the manufacturer (or whoever bought them out if they're obsolete) can help.

Thanks for the ideas. I have searched and found one on ebay, but it says it is broken and doesn't come with disks. I am looking for old equipment sites right now. Thermo scientific bought them out a long time ago and when I called they said they had never heard of it!

Thanks mercaptan. I checked those out but I think that this particular instrument has gone the way of the dinosaurs. The sad thing is that the mass spec works just fine, but the software is configured incorrectly. It would be unfortunate to have to drop a few thousand because of this. Thanks again for the help.

No problems. Some of the old instruments like that are quite powerful, it's sad you can't use it anymore.

1. What is a VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer?

A VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer is a type of scientific instrument used to analyze the chemical properties of substances. It uses a combination of electrical and magnetic fields to separate and measure the mass of ions in a sample, providing valuable information about its composition.

2. How does the VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer work?

The VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer works by ionizing a sample and then accelerating the resulting ions through an electrical field. The ions then pass through a magnetic field, which separates them based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The ions are then detected and their abundance is recorded, creating a mass spectrum which can be used to identify the components of the sample.

3. What types of samples can be analyzed with the VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer?

The VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer can analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. It is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and forensic science to analyze samples such as drugs, proteins, and environmental contaminants.

4. How accurate is the VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer?

The accuracy of the VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer depends on various factors, such as the quality of the sample, the sensitivity of the instrument, and the experience of the user. However, it is generally considered to be a highly accurate instrument, with the ability to detect and quantify even very small amounts of substances in a sample.

5. What are the advantages of using the VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer?

The VGA Smart-IQ+ Mass spectrometer offers several advantages over other analytical techniques. It is highly sensitive, allowing for the detection of very small amounts of substances. It is also versatile, as it can analyze a wide range of sample types. Additionally, it provides detailed information about the composition of a sample, making it a valuable tool in research and analysis.