Griffiths Quantum Mechanics: Solving Angular Momentum with Commutators

• Thread starter Bobbo Snap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutators
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of the speaker in following Griffith's quantum mechanics text in section 4.3, particularly in the use of commutators to discuss angular momentum. They discuss the process of simplifying the commutator equation and the confusion in factoring out certain terms, which is later resolved by understanding the concept of commuting operators in quantum mechanics.
Bobbo Snap
I'm having a lot of trouble following Griffith's quantum mechanics text. I'm in section 4.3 which discusses angular momentum using commutators. The text proceeds as follows:
[tex] [L_x, L_y] = [yp_z - zp_y, zp_x - xp_z]\\
=[yp_z, zp_x] - [yp_z, xp_z] - [zp_y, zp_x] + [zp_y, xp_z]\\
=[yp_z, zp_x] + [zp_y, xp_z] \qquad (1)[/tex]
Ok, I follow the previous, the last step drops the two middle terms because they do commute. It's the next step I don't get:
[tex][L_x, L_y] = yp_x[p_z, z] + xp_y[z, p_z][/tex]
How is Griffiths able to factor out the [itex] yp_x \text{ and } xp_y[/itex]? When I expand eqn (1), I get:
[tex] [L_x, L_y] = yp_zzp_x-zp_xyp_z + zp_yxp_z - xp_zzp_y [/tex]
I don't see how he can factor those out without commuting position operators with momentum operators which you can't do, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, never mind. I think I can commute momentum and position operators acting on different variables. So [itex] xp_z = p_zx [/itex].

That's right.

1. What is the concept of angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotation or spinning motion of a particle around an axis. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

2. What are commutators and how do they relate to solving angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, commutators are mathematical operators that measure the degree of non-commutativity between two operators. The commutators of angular momentum operators are used to solve for the eigenvalues and eigenstates of angular momentum in quantum systems.

3. How does Griffiths’ approach to solving angular momentum with commutators differ from other methods?

Griffiths’ approach uses the commutation relations between angular momentum operators to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates of angular momentum, rather than solving the differential equations directly. This method is often more efficient and easier to understand for students.

4. Can Griffiths’ approach be applied to all quantum systems with angular momentum?

Yes, Griffiths’ approach can be applied to all quantum systems with angular momentum, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. This method is a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of quantum systems with rotational symmetry.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving angular momentum with commutators?

The concept of angular momentum and its mathematical formulation using commutators is essential in many areas of physics, including atomic and molecular spectroscopy, quantum computing, and nuclear physics. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as in the design of gyroscopes and satellites.