Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with Dynamics

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    Im not here to ask about a homework problem or anything. I just need to figure out a method of solving these problems. I just cant get it no matter how much i try. Im a senior working toward my BS in physics. I have 3 classes left till i graduate (after this semester) and I have no problems with other classes just this one (all A's this semester so far). I know a major part of it is that i have a lousy professor. i had him for modern atomic physics and statics and ive always done bad in his classes. and i got him for quantum mechanics next semester too lol. anyways, i been seeing a tutor to solve homework problems and have him explain things to me. whenever im there, the problems seem so easy and make perfect sence to me. but then when i try to go do them on my own i always get stuck so easily. the book is pretty crappy too so reading it virtually never helps me. we got a test coming up on thursday and i really need to do good on it. it will cover sections 3/6 & 3/7 work energy applications, 3/9 & 3/10 impulse momentum applications, and 3/13 central force motion from our book "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" 6th ed. by Meriam & Kraige. i honestly havent even gotten into 3/13 yet (he just assigned it last class). but i have been working through problems in the other sections. i want to be able to work these problems until i can do them in my sleep, but i feel like im getting nowhere. so are theres any tools or tips you guys have for solving these types of problems? i know this is kindof a broad question, but i honestly will consider any advise at this point lol. thanx in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    I really liked Meriam and Kraige!

Anyway, one professor that teaches dynamics at my school has put together a series of videos which solve a lot of problems from this book. He is an amazing professor so hopefully you will find it helpful. It is here:

http://me274sp08.blogspot.com/

This is a sophomore level course in Mechanical Engineering at my university so it may be a bit different but hopefully you can get something from it.

4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    cool, thanx alot.

im sure our classes are no different its just that my school isnt a big science school so dynamics and statics are only offered every 2 years. and since i transfered here my junior year i couldnt take it until now.

5. Apr 8, 2008 #4
    actually it looks like you cover alot more material than us. most the semester weve only been doing ch 2 & 3. and i think were getting into a little of 5 and/or 6 in the last few weeks of class. but i guess that should be expected from a school like Purdue lol. saw that stats for your 2nd exam and that made me feel a little better lol. our stats for our exams in statics and dynamics are kindof inbetween your exam 1&2 (~65-70% out of 100%). i just hope that my problem is with the professor and book and not the fact that im not cut out for this, because im applying to grad school for civil engineering :crap: all my other physics is easy (for the most part), why is mechanics so damn hard!?!?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?