I with finding moment of inertia for pendulum

In summary, the grandfather clock uses a physical pendulum to keep time. The pendulum consists of a uniform thin rod of mass M and length L that is pivoted freely about one end, with a solid sphere of the same mass, M, and a radius of L/2 centered about the free end of the rod. The moment of inertia of the pendulum about its pivot point as a function of M and L can be found using the Parallel Axis Theorem. The last term in the formula is dimensionally incorrect, and the equation is difficult to simplify.
xnitexlitex

Homework Statement

A grandfather clock uses a physical pendulum to keep time. The pendulum consists of a uniform thin rod of mass M and length L that is pivoted freely about one end, with a solid sphere of the same mass, M, and a radius of L/2 centered about the free end of the rod.
Obtain an expression for the moment of inertia of the pendulum about its pivot point as a function of M and L.

Homework Equations

Irod = ML2/3
Isphere = 2MR2/5

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted L/2 in for R, But, the sphere's inertia isn't around the central axis. I can't seem to figure that out. I put L/2 in for R, which becomes L2/4, and I get rid of the fractions. What else am I supposed to do?

I got to:
I = ML2/3 + ML2/10 + 3L2/4. I simplified and got it wrong. Should I get rid of the fractions first? Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the Parallel axis theorem to get the moment of inertia of the sphere, with its CM at the end of the rod.
What is the last term in your formula? It is even dimensionally incorrect.

ehild

Would the distance from the axis be L, or L+L/2, which would be 3L/2? I'm not too good with PAT (Parallel-Axis Theorem) :(

My formula is Itotal = Irod + Isphere , which would be:

Itotal = Irod + (ICM + MD2) . R is L/2, thus giving me:

(1/3) ML2 + [ (2/5) M(L/2)2 + ML2]. This is where I have trouble. Could it also be: (1/3) ML2 + [(2/5) M(L/2)2 + M [L + (L/2)]2] ?

Plus, it's the distributing and simplifying that's giving me trouble.

P.S. Is there a better way to write fractions on here?

Last edited:
xnitexlitex said:
Would the distance from the axis be L, or L+L/2, which would be 3L/2? I'm not too good with PAT (Parallel-Axis Theorem) :(

My formula is Itotal = Irod + Isphere , which would be:

Itotal = Irod + (ICM + MD2) . R is L/2, thus giving me:

(1/3) ML2 + [ (2/5) M(L/2)2 + ML2]. This is where I have trouble. Could it also be: (1/3) ML2 + [(2/5) M(L/2)2 + M [L + (L/2)]2] ?

Plus, it's the distributing and simplifying that's giving me trouble.

P.S. Is there a better way to write fractions on here?
According to the Parallel Axis Theorem, you add the term MD2 to the moment of inertia with respect to the CM, where D is the distance of the CM from the pivot.

a solid sphere of the same mass, M, and a radius of L/2 centered about the free end of the rod.

As the CM of the sphere is at the end of the rod, D=L. Your first version is true, the red one is wrong.

The formulae will look nicer with tex. Going to "advanced" and click on the Ʃ, you can find way under "Math" to write fractions: [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]

Writing in tex, your derivation will look like

[tex]I=\frac{1}{3}ML^2+\frac{2}{5}M(\frac{L}{2})^2+ML^2[/tex]
Factor out ML^2

[tex]I=ML^2(\frac{1}{3}+\frac{2}{5} \cdot \frac{1}{4}+1)=ML^2(\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{10}+1)[/tex]

Find common denominator
[tex]\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{10}+1=\frac{10+3+30}{30}[/tex]

ehild

Thank you so much, ehild. Now, I can't seem to get the formula for the period for small oscillations. I know it's 2∏√I/mgd, but I put the I in, cancel the masses, and it says it's wrong. Do the masses cancel?

EDIT: Never mind, the d in the formula for period isn't the same d in the moment of inertia. For the d in the expression for period, it WOULD be L + L/2.

Last edited:
That d in the expression for the period is the distance of the CM of the whole pendulum from the pivot. It is d=[itex]\frac{M\frac{L}{2}+ML}{2M}=\frac{3}{4}L[/itex].
But I have doubts about the position of the sphere, if "centred about the end of the rod " means the rod half inside the sphere. If your result is wrong again try to calculate I and d with D=3L/2.

ehild

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

How do I calculate moment of inertia for a pendulum?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia for a pendulum is I = mgl, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and l is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the pendulum.

Why is moment of inertia important in a pendulum?

Moment of inertia is important in a pendulum because it determines the period of oscillation, which is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. A larger moment of inertia will result in a longer period of oscillation.

What factors affect the moment of inertia for a pendulum?

The two main factors that affect the moment of inertia for a pendulum are the mass of the pendulum and the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass. The longer the pendulum and the more mass it has, the larger its moment of inertia will be.

Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a scalar quantity and is always positive or zero. A negative value would not make physical sense in the context of rotational motion.