Gearboxes for Increasing Speed: Types & Tips

• Thread starter van2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a gearbox to increase the speed in a wind turbine project. The person is looking to buy a gearbox with a 1:15 ratio to increase the speed from 100rpm to 1500rpm. They are considering a Series Helical gearbox and the type of generator being used and its optimum rotational speed are also mentioned.
van2
hello

i want buy gearbox for increase the speed
i know that worm gearbox cannot use for increase the speed..just for reduce speed

what is the type of gearbox can i use for increasing the speed

there is gearbox types
- Bevel Gearbox
- Helical Gearbox
- Planetary Gearbox
- Sequential Gearbox
- Spiral Bevel Gearbox
- Worm Reduction Gearbox

please help me

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Please, please please edit your post and make the text a sensible size.

Also it completely depends on application, what are you trying to achieve with this new gearbox?

hi xxChrisxx
i will made wind turbine and i will get about 100 rpm with high torque
i want buy gearbox 1:15 and use it to increase the speed from 100rpm to 1500 rpm.. so i will connect the Output shaft to wind turbine and Input shaft with the alternator

i want buy Series Helical gearbox

[PLAIN]http://www.crumpassociates.com/products/Helical_Gearboxes/Hydro-mec_Aluminum_Inline_Helical_Gearbox.gif

what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
van2 said:
hi xxChrisxx
i will made wind turbine and i will get about 100 rpm with high torque
i want buy gearbox 1:15 and use it to increase the speed from 100rpm to 1500 rpm.. so i will connect the Output shaft to wind turbine and Input shaft with the alternator

i want buy Series Helical gearbox

[PLAIN]http://www.crumpassociates.com/products/Helical_Gearboxes/Hydro-mec_Aluminum_Inline_Helical_Gearbox.gif

what do you think?

what kind of generator are you using? and what is the optimum rotational speed that it operates at

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a gearbox and how does it work?

A gearbox is a mechanical device that is used to transfer power from one source to another while changing the speed and torque of the output. It works by using a series of gears to increase or decrease the rotational speed of the output shaft, depending on the input speed and desired output speed.

2. What are the different types of gearboxes used for increasing speed?

There are several types of gearboxes that are commonly used for increasing speed, including spur gearboxes, helical gearboxes, worm gearboxes, and planetary gearboxes. Each type has its own unique design and advantages, and the best choice will depend on the specific application and desired speed increase.

3. What are some tips for selecting the right gearbox for increasing speed?

When selecting a gearbox for increasing speed, it is important to consider factors such as the input and output speed requirements, the amount of torque needed, the space available for installation, and the desired efficiency and durability. It is also important to consult with a gearbox expert and carefully evaluate the specifications and features of different gearbox models.

4. Can a gearbox be used to both increase and decrease speed?

Yes, most gearboxes have the ability to both increase and decrease speed. This is achieved by using different gear ratios, which determine the speed and torque of the output shaft. By changing the gear ratio, the same gearbox can be used for different applications that require either an increase or decrease in speed.

5. What are some common applications for gearboxes that increase speed?

Gearboxes that are designed to increase speed are commonly used in various industries and applications, such as in automobiles, industrial machinery, agricultural equipment, and power transmission systems. They can also be found in household appliances, such as blenders and food processors, where high speeds are needed for efficient operation.