1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with general unknown (qualitative analysis)

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    this is the second general unknown in lab.
    my prof. told me i can have 1 or cations and 1 or 2 anions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    cation analysis: i carried out blanket tests by adding na2co3, naoh, and nh4oh to my salt dissolved in water to three different test tubes to see if a precipitate formed. a precipitate formed for all three (so i am not able to eliminate any cations from these blanket tests)

anion analysis: i added agno3 to the salt solution and a white precipitate formed, which says that br-, i-, s2-, po43-, cro42- are absent. i then tried to dissolve the ppt with hno3 and it did not dissolve and according to the test it says i have (cl-, br-, i-, and s2-)

one last note: i get a green solution when i mix my unknown salt with water, and my text says this: "Suppose a salt mixture dissolves readily and completely in cold water to give a green solutiom. A green solution means the presence of copper, nickel, iron (II), or chromium. the mixture cannot, therefore, contain carbonates, sulfites, phosphates, borates, chromates, or sulfides.

i tried to test for group 3 cations (fe, co, ni, mn, al, cr, and zn) but i didn't get anything (but i also think i could have made a procedural error)

any guess at what i may have????? thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are going to have to share the entire procedure with us.

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    which one?
    ok ill try again.

i have an unknown soluble salt. when i add 20 drops water, it turns green.

i tried the 3 blanket tests with the salt to see if i can eliminate any cations. all blanket tests have failed and a ppt came out ( blanket tests reagents: na2co3, naoh, and nh4oh.)

when i tried to do an anion analysis (mixing green solution with agno3) i get a white ppt
    i try to dissolve the same ppt with hno3 and it does not dissolve.

i tested for group 1 (silver, mercury lead) by adding the group reagent (hcl) and got no ppt. this means i have no group 1 cations.

i tried group 3 test and nothing came out although i think i messed up because i had a ppt at first, but it went away later on.

i tried a flame test and nothing happened

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What green cations do you know?

All "blanket tests" had one thing in common - you have added solutions with high pH.

And I think anion should be more or less obvious.

6. Nov 26, 2008 #5
    ok....i tested positive today for chlorine! that eliminates group one cations.

the green cations can be copper, nickel, iron (II), or chromium

side note: i was separating and detecting bismuth (to get to copper) and in doing so, i got a ppt after adding naoh and sncl2. bismuth says it is a jet black ppt......the ppt was white...should i ignore this even though there was a ppt? thanks!!!!

7. Nov 26, 2008 #6
    when i was testing for acetate.....the confirmatory test was pretty vague, the text says it smells like a fruity nail polish substance.....it smelled like ethanol so i couldn't tell. it also said that you can try an alternative test to see if the salt "charrs" and you smell something like burning hair. it kind of smelled like this so i don't know if i have acetate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?