Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with Latex

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    i couldnt find a place to post this question but this seems to work, so is there a way to make latex outside this forum, like if want to do a project?
    if so how.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

First you'll need a TeX distribution. If you're using Windows (I assume you are), MiKTeX is what you want:

http://www.miktex.org

There's a simple executable to download, and it'll let you install all the LaTeX add-ons. Be sure to read any documentation on their site.

Next, you'll need a decent interface to write LaTeX documents. I recommend TeXniCenter:

http://www.toolscenter.org/front_content.php

I also highly recommend reading thoroughly through this document. It's not very long and will introduce you to the subtle differences between writing LaTeX math equations here, writing LaTeX documents in general, and a comprehensive syntax listing:

www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  4. Nov 29, 2004 #3
    WOW!, thank you very much, I really appreciate your help, there was another thread on this forum, but I didnt understand it :uhh: . Now I do, thanks. :smile:

5. Nov 29, 2004 #4
    Is there any kind of latex plug ins for MS Office programs? The built in equation editor really sucks and I want to use Latex in Word or Excell is possible.

6. Nov 29, 2004 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

There is actually a commercial application called 'MathType,' and it'll export formulas written in Microsoft Word to TeX (not sure about LaTeX, should still work, however). MathType is essentially a replacement for the builtin Microsoft Word equation editor, with much more functionality. I have a colleague that uses it on a daily basis, and he is satisfied with it.

http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/products/mathsim/mathtype/

7. May 21, 2007 #6
    How to make Index in LaTeX?

Please, can anyone tell me how can I use makeindex in LaTeX? I've tried the command \makeindex but nothing happens:devil:

8. May 21, 2007 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to do several things:
    • In your preamble, include the makeidx package and invoke the makeindex macro:
      \usepackage{makeidx}
      \makeindex
    • Invoke the index macro in the body of your document to add items to the index.
      \index{word}
    • Invoke the printindex macro at the end of your document (i.e., where you want the index to appear):
      \printindex
    • Process your document using LaTeX. Note well: This first pass will not generate an index. This collects the \indexed items.
    • Process your document again using LaTeX. Note well: This second pass still does not generate an index. It will, however, generate a .idx file based on the items from the first pass.
    • Process your document using the MakeIndex program. This compiles the .idx into a .ind file.
    • Process your document one more time using LaTeX, and possibly,
    • Process your document one last time using LaTeX (the pagination might not be correct).

It helps to use a makefile to do the processing correctly.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  9. May 22, 2007 #8
    \makeidx package giving me errors

Thank you for your reply, but the problem is that I'm getting errors when I use the makeidx package as you instructed. I'm getting an error in a file called makeidx.sty with the error: \newcommand*\see[2]{\emph{} #1} Can you please help me?? Thank you

10. May 22, 2007 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Something else (are you using one of the AMS document classes?) is defining \see. Try omitting the \usepackage{makeidx}.

11. May 23, 2007 #10
    Finally managed to do it!!`

Thanks for your help. I omitted \usepackage{makeidx} and it worked. Thanks so much. Another thing, I need to input some graphs into my pdf file, what program do you suggest? I need graphs like y=sin x and the lot:uhh:

12. May 26, 2007 #11
    Moreover, how can I input a glossary of terms?

13. Jun 1, 2007 #12
    Hello, who can explain to me how to make a mathematica file saved as an *.eps? thank you

14. Jun 1, 2007 #13
    Can anyone explain to me why I'm getting an error which states that: I could not locate the file with any of these extensions: .png,.pdf,.jpg,.mps,.tif.

I am saving my file as eps, but LaTeX cannot find it. Please help me.

15. Jun 1, 2007 #14

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are using pdflatex. The pdf format doesn't support encapsulated postscript. Use eps2pdf to convert your encapsulated postcript to pdf.

16. Jun 5, 2007 #15
    How can I do that? I mean use eps2pdft to convert eps to pdf?

17. Jun 6, 2007 #16
    Can anyone explain to me why I'm getting an error which states that: I could not locate the file with any of these extensions: .png,.pdf,.jpg,.mps,.tif.

I am saving my file as eps, but LaTeX cannot find it. Please help me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?