I with matlab designing a steady state feedback H2 control system

In summary, the conversation is about designing a steady state feedback H2 control system for a tribometer, despite the speaker's lack of experience in control system design. The goal is to control the position of x to maintain a constant normal load on the substrate, using a state feedback controller with H2 norm minimized via LMI optimization. The speaker is struggling with incorporating the disturbance (w) and output (z) into their equations. The conversation also briefly touches on the equation (Net Force) = mass * acceleration and the need to consider external forces, such as gravity.
Nahahahah
Hi everyone.
I'm designing a steady state feedback H2 control system.
Actually, my major is tribology and I have no experience in designing control system.
So it is really big problem for me.
Anyway, this is my simple model of tribometer which applies normal load on the surface.
upload_2017-4-30_11-5-40.png
upload_2017-4-30_11-19-43.png
(is it right??)
My purpose is control the x (position of m) during the test (change in y) to apply constant normal load (k(x+y) ??) on the surface.
When I start the test, the normal force will be kx, but during the test the movement of substrate(y) occurs and I want to control the position of x to maintain constant normal load on the substrate.
And I should design state feedback controller with H2 norm minimized via LMI optimization.
upload_2017-4-30_11-20-16.png
with
upload_2017-4-30_11-20-42.png

First, I thought disturbance (w) is y and output z will be k(x+y)... but I failed.
I really need some help to design the state feedback controller.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's been awhile for me, but here goes. Let's start with (Net Force) = mass * acceleration, which in your case acceleration is x double dot. So should your first equation equal zero? If you set it equal to the driving force (the force you are applying to keep it at desired position) then that seems what you need to solve. Is gravity acting downward on the mass? If so then you should have that in there as a downward external force on the mass.

Likes FactChecker

1. How does a steady state feedback H2 control system work?

A steady state feedback H2 control system is designed to minimize the steady state error between the desired output and actual output of a system. This is achieved by adjusting the control inputs based on the difference between the desired and actual output, using a feedback loop.

2. What is the difference between steady state and transient response in a control system?

Steady state response refers to the behavior of a control system after it has reached a stable operating point, where there is no longer any change in the output. Transient response, on the other hand, refers to the behavior of a system during the initial period of time when the output is changing to reach the steady state.

3. What is the role of the weighting matrix in an H2 control system?

The weighting matrix in an H2 control system is used to specify the relative importance of different control objectives. By adjusting the weights, the designer can prioritize certain outputs or inputs to achieve a desired performance.

4. How do you choose the optimal weighting matrix for an H2 control system?

The optimal weighting matrix for an H2 control system is chosen based on the desired performance specifications. These may include minimizing steady state error, achieving a certain level of disturbance rejection, or controlling outputs within a specific range. The weights are typically adjusted through trial and error, or by using optimization techniques.

5. Can an H2 control system be used for nonlinear systems?

H2 control systems are designed for linear time-invariant (LTI) systems. However, they can be extended to handle certain classes of nonlinear systems through the use of linearization techniques. In general, the performance of an H2 control system on a nonlinear system may not be as robust as on a linear system, so careful consideration must be given to the system's nonlinearity when designing the controller.