1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with my chemistry problems

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1
    What is the electron configuration of Ni2+?
    a. [Ar] 3d6 4s2
    b. [Ar] 3d7 4s1
    c. [Ar] 3d8
    d. [Ar] 3d8 4s2
    e. [Ar] 3d8 4s1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2008 #2
    Alright, Nickle is in the period after Argon, that's why you don't have to state the configuration of argon and you can give the symbol: [Ar] This just signifies the octet configuration (8 electrons in valence shell). Then, as you notice, Ni2+ has a number of 28-2= 26.
    Ar has an atomic number of 18.
    So you have 8 electrons left. so you can cancel out options d and e.

The d subshell has 5 orbitals. The principal quantum number of the d subshell is 3 in this case. 3 is lower than 4, thus, theoretically, you will fill in the lower quantum number first. There are special cases which do not exhibit this though.

And that's why you'll fill in these 8 electrons into the orbitals in 3d. Making it:

Hope it helps. You can ask me again if you don't get this.
  4. Jul 8, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

Please check Aufbau principle and Madelung rule. 3d is filled before 4p and 5s. Just looking at the principal quantum number is not enough.

Madelung rule states that orbitals are filled in the order given by sum n+l, if for two orbitals n+l is identical the one with lower n is filled first.

There are exceptions though.
  5. Jul 8, 2008 #4
    Yeah sorry for missing that. >< needa go review my chem again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?